Man...i hate waiting for lacquer to cure.............

Started by plexi12000, May 05, 2015, 01:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR

Lacquer *should* dry fast. That's the point. For putting on many coats in mass production (furniture, cars). It replaced slow-drying enamels in car production, that's how Ford and Sloane were able to make hundreds of cars a day. Grand Rapids furniture factories used car-loads of lacquer.

Each coat MUST be THIN.

One coat MUST dry completely before the next coat.

Traditionally you thin just enough to spray, work at a distance so much of the solvent evaporates before it hits the surface. (For you, this means standing way back from a small box.) The residual solvent should be just enough to "bite" the previous coat so it sticks.

Modern laws about solvents may have made this type of lacquer obsolete.

I do know that traditional lacquer finishes are not used on furniture or cars any more. The 2-part types which harden without drying are easier, more reliable, and less stinky in production. They may not be suitable for one-off boxes.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: tubegeek on May 06, 2015, 10:41:34 PM
Quote from: davent on May 06, 2015, 11:43:18 AM
Quote from: italianguy63 on May 05, 2015, 08:14:37 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAA!!!

That is the can I dropped my toothbrush in that disolved!

MC

Brushing your teeth in the garage or store the lacquer thinner in the bathroom?

Or - bathroom in the garage?

there's no room in the bathroom for teeth, what with the indian and all.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

ubersam

Waiting for lacquer to dry is the biggest reason I started powder coating. Just wait for it cool down after baking and it's hard as nails.

LightSoundGeometry

how about waiting on parts in mail from china so long you forgot what they are and meant to be used for ..like today ..I cant even remember ordering 220K resistors but I have 400 of them now  :icon_biggrin:

LightSoundGeometry