Behringer VP-1 Mods

Started by spyrusthevirus, May 07, 2015, 11:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spyrusthevirus

I bought a Behringer VP-1 pedal for a pretty good price (20 euros) and after playing with it for a little while, I want to mod it in a couple of ways.
1. The stock potentiometer is so plastic and fake-it needs to go and be replaced by something neater, metal and sturdy.
2. There is no depth control, nor bias setting.
3. Since I'm not using it as an actual pedal (cause I'm not using it for an actual guitar, lol), I'd like the footswitch to be replaced by a classic lever switch. Easier to handle with a hand, looks way cooler.
4. Enable external LFO input, for the times when modulating the phase shift is just not weird enough for me.
5. Possibly an on/off switch for the whole unit-as it is, the "output" cable has to be unplugged for it to stop consuming power.
6. True bypass, although I'm not hearing any noise leaking anyway.
7. Wet/dry adjustment, to control the amount of filtering happening.

Now, my first problem is that I cannot understand how that potentiometer can be removed. The knob just seems glued or whatever, I tried pulling it but that's not working, and there is no obvious way of removing it (some clips perhaps? anything like that at all?). Do I just have to break it? I hope not.

Any thoughts? Any advice on that pot? I'll post details of the mods as soon as I manage to get down to applying them.

Mark Hammer

It's a Small Stone (later issue, using LM13600s, I believe).  Whatever mods you can fuind for the one, apply to the other.

spyrusthevirus

That's great-it seems google has a lot of stuff on that particular design.
However, my main problem remains-how do i remove that potentiometer without breaking it? I can't figure out a way.
After i get the actual pcb on my hands I can work out most of this stuff by myself anyway.

tubegeek

If it doesn't have a set-screw inset into one side of the knob, then it's a friction fit. There is no third way.

Get under it with a fork or similar and pull.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR