Where can I put a Gain knob?

Started by mysmileyface, May 08, 2015, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysmileyface

-------

C1 is for the output jack
C2 is for the input jack
9V source would be coming from the resistor

Is my schematic correct? This is a basic diagram for a fuzz pedal.
My most important question is where would I'll be placing a potentiometer for gain control? I want to have a gain know/fuzz knob and I'm asking how can it be done, where will I put it?

I'll appreciate it if one can answer me very clearly, like, "input lug of potentiometer is connected here, output lug of potentiometer is connected there".

-------

nocentelli

I wouldn't bother, it only really sounds good running at maximum gain (which it is as you have drawn it). If you really want to try, break the ground connection to the emitter and put a 1k potentiometer between with lug2 to ground, lug 3 to emitter and lug 1 unconnected. This will only allow you to reduce the gain.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

smallbearelec

Hi--

This is a poor circuit for a basic distortion. Do you have a breadboard? If so, find one of the many setups for the Electra and work with that. Some, like my Ursa Minor:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardUrsaMinor/BreadboardUrsaMinor.htm

include control of both gain and output level. You'll be happier with the result.

mysmileyface

Quote from: nocentelli on May 08, 2015, 01:14:05 PM
I wouldn't bother, it only really sounds good running at maximum gain (which it is as you have drawn it). If you really want to try, break the ground connection to the emitter and put a 1k potentiometer between with lug2 to ground, lug 3 to emitter and lug 1 unconnected. This will only allow you to reduce the gain.

Some says, I should wire it between C2 and input jack. Or between C2 and the diode. And in doing that, all 3 lug would be wired. Which is which?

Quote from: smallbearelec on May 08, 2015, 01:46:05 PM
Hi--

This is a poor circuit for a basic distortion. Do you have a breadboard? If so, find one of the many setups for the Electra and work with that. Some, like my Ursa Minor:

http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardUrsaMinor/BreadboardUrsaMinor.htm

include control of both gain and output level. You'll be happier with the result.

Hmmm yup, this is a basic distortion I've seen on net and tried to redraw using a electronic CAD software. I do have a breadboard but I just want to try this first. I'm having a hard time when the circuit contains a great number of components and from what I saw on the link, the circuit has more than 5 components.

GGBB

That looks like a bazz fuss without the volume control:

Do you want a gain control or a volume control? Volume control as above (click image for more info). If you want to control the gain, do you want to be able to increase it, decrease it, or both?
  • SUPPORTER

mth5044

Quote from: mysmileyface on May 08, 2015, 02:45:08 PM
Quote from: nocentelli on May 08, 2015, 01:14:05 PM

Some says, I should wire it between C2 and input jack. Or between C2 and the diode. And in doing that, all 3 lug would be wired. Which is which?

Give both a try  :icon_idea: if you've got it on breadboard, it's as simple as can be to try both out. Take your time, think it through and you'll get it!

mysmileyface

Quote from: GGBB on May 08, 2015, 03:37:56 PM
That looks like a bazz fuss without the volume control:

Do you want a gain control or a volume control? Volume control as above (click image for more info). If you want to control the gain, do you want to be able to increase it, decrease it, or both?

Gain control. And I want it both setting, to decrease and to increase

GGBB

Two possibilities:

1. Connect the volume control just like in the bazz fuss but between the input jack and the input cap.  Input jack to gain pot pin 3 (clockwise), input cap to gain pot pin 2 (wiper), ground to pin 1 (counter-clockwise). This is really a "pre-gain" control but it works very well to clean up the signal. A 250k or 500k audio pot might be better but a 100k should also work.

2. Connect the "Dirt" control shown below in the Deluxe Bazz Fuss:

Pin 3 to Q1 emitter, pins 2 & 1 connected together to ground. 1k linear pot.

• SUPPORTER