soldering Iron

Started by LightSoundGeometry, May 13, 2015, 10:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

I wanted to start a new topic as a lot of older post hold bad links and old technology as time moves forward

I need a good one in the lower price point. will be for pedals and getting easy replacement tips is important to me. Been trying to make my own but was unsuccessful, so far.

appreciate you guys!

roswell

davent

I found the tips i could source at the local brick and mortar if need be and bought the appropriate iron, Weller WES51.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Rhop

Quote from: davent on May 13, 2015, 10:27:00 PM
I found the tips i could source at the local brick and mortar if need be and bought the appropriate iron, Weller WES51.

The Wellers are rock-solid. I've got the WESD51 (the one with the digital display) and it's been working flawlessly for a little over a year now. Lots of tip selection, and the tips last forever. Well worth the price.

-Ryan

J0K3RX

The Hakko FX888 is great no doubt, well worth the $$!

I have a couple "Genuine Hakko 936" and they are rock solid! One of them I have had for over 10 years and still works perfect like day one! There are replicas of them for next to nothing and I have heard good and bad about them... I guess if you're a gamblin man then what the hey.. I'm not. I can't speak for all brands but for Hakko make sure you get "Genuine" tips and elements.. They cost more but are WAY worth the extra $$.. Don't fall for the cheap tips on ebay or amazon! They look good but they ain't!!! I have a genuine tip on mine and it's maybe 4+ years old and still in great shape! I even left my iron on for about 3 days straight by accident and this is the same tip and element I am talkin bout, still in great shape! Even a used 936 would be a great buy providing that it's working etc.. All over ebay

I have a Metcal MX500 and an old SP200 that never even get turned on... always go for the Hakko
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Greenmachine

CodeMonk

Another vote for a Weller.
My last one lasted me about 30 years.

MaxPower

I use $3 soldering irons. Why  search for replacement tips when you can just replace the whole thing?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

LightSoundGeometry

appreciate it

cheap guns suck ..if you cant get a good flow with the proper tip you are risking a flawed build every time ..solder is a funny thing - i went the 4 buck cheap route and paid for it in wasted time x parts when a layout wont work imho - you might have a technique down to use them but I couldnt do it 

Jdansti

I really like the performance of the Weller WLC100 station, and for $37.90 + free shipping, you can't beat it. My only complaint is that the first one I had died after about 5 years. One reviewer has gotten over 10 years of use, so I'm hoping my second one will last longer than the first.

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

LightSoundGeometry

just got a WP 30 because it was 4 bucks cheaper than teh 25  and was reading it takes the small conical tip now for pcb work...all the reviews echoed my radio shack complaints ..will never go back in that store ever again - the reviews have me anxious to get it ..47.50 shipped

aron

My WLC100 is still going strong. I love it.

italianguy63

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on May 14, 2015, 02:32:58 AM
just got a WP 30 because it was 4 bucks cheaper than teh 25  and was reading it takes the small conical tip now for pcb work...all the reviews echoed my radio shack complaints ..will never go back in that store ever again - the reviews have me anxious to get it ..47.50 shipped

I see you made your decision.. I will chime in anyway because I just went through this at Xmas.  After research my two big contenders were the Hakko-FX888 and the Weller WESD51.

I bought the Hakko, and love it.  Can't say enough good about it.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

stonerbox

I'm gonna give ToolCraft a shout out. I had never heard about the brand before, which left me a bit hesitant at first, I was thinking about getting a Weller from the start but they do get very pricey fast. Anyways.. now that I got the ToolCraft ST-50a and used it for about a year I could not ask for anything more.  It has a nice, strong quality tip and the heating is also pretty accurate and very fast.

IMO the black one looks a lot better and unfortunately Amazon only got the white version of the ST-50a. Never mind the "beginner" description in the title 'cause this station is as good as many other analogue ones that costs a bit more.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolcraft-Beginners-Analogue-Soldering-Station/dp/B008PPSLSA/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1431599438&sr=1-1&keywords=TOOLCRAFT

Edit:
I see you already chosen one, my bad.
Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on May 14, 2015, 02:32:58 AM
just got a WP 30 because it was 4 bucks cheaper than teh 25  and was reading it takes the small conical tip now for pcb work...all the reviews echoed my radio shack complaints ..will never go back in that store ever again - the reviews have me anxious to get it ..47.50 shipped
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

Luke51411

Quote from: Jdansti on May 14, 2015, 02:17:00 AM
I really like the performance of the Weller WLC100 station, and for $37.90 + free shipping, you can't beat it. My only complaint is that the first one I had died after about 5 years. One reviewer has gotten over 10 years of use, so I'm hoping my second one will last longer than the first.

I might try this one I'm getting sick of replacing tips every 3 builds. Have you had good luck with tips?

CodeMonk

Quote from: Luke51411 on May 14, 2015, 10:51:04 AM

I might try this one I'm getting sick of replacing tips every 3 builds. Have you had good luck with tips?
Weller tips, if properly taken care of can last for years.

trixdropd

I use aoyue. first the 937+ now the 968a.

I don't know if the value can be beat.

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-937-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B000I30QBW

Luke51411

Quote from: CodeMonk on May 14, 2015, 10:54:45 AM
Quote from: Luke51411 on May 14, 2015, 10:51:04 AM

Weller tips, if properly taken care of can last for years.
I have a weller 25 watt iron right now and the tips seem to just be getting eaten up... the first few tips lasted me quite a while but not so much lately. I bought a bunch of weller 15 watt irons with screwdriver tips when they were on sale for $3 each a while ago, those tips didn't last very long either and I haven't been able to find replacements but tips for my other iron are $4 each so it worked out ok except now I'm about out of both...

duck_arse

my weller tips are now outlasting the heaters (wtcpn, v.old, v.v. expensive).
don't make me draw another line.

LightSoundGeometry

found this video, and in my short time (im a noob), completely agree with these old instructional videos. solder and solder tools are essential - almost every failure in a build was due to soldering issues ..I bet in the 95% tile anyways

wanted to post this for any other newbies to the hobby. Or even if you are an ole time - they are well made videos and worth a watch especially for noobs like me. lots of good pointers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s&list=PL926EC0F1F93C1837