News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

1590G ..?

Started by LightSoundGeometry, May 15, 2015, 01:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

wow...love the 1590G but I am not sure I can put a normal 3pdt switch inside? I am scared to drill the hole and ruin it.  my tape measure showing just a puss hair or play ....what is your experience?

Cozybuilder

My measurement shows the distance from the flat of the switch to the contact end is 0.78". Thus you will need to either drill a hole large enough (0.60") to assure the flat of the switch is on the face, or drill your normal 15/32" hole and dremel a small radius inside the box to achieve the same.

Now, you can always cut down the contacts enough to assure clearance too.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

slacker

Don't forget that the lid/base adds a few extra mm of room so the switch can stick out slightly below the rim, datasheet shows 21mm (0.827") depth with the lid fitted so you might just about get a standard 3PDT in there, it's going to be very tight though and the switch is going to stick a long way out of the top.  

GGBB

BLMS sells those - might be useful to contact them and ask what switch they recommend. Their low profile ones not only have a stubbier neck, but also appear to have a slightly shorter body - might buy you a very useful millimeter or two.

Don't forget to solder your wires so they come out of the switch sideways, not downward.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

armdnrdy

BLMS Low profile +1

The difference from the top of the lower nut, (hand tightened) to the bottom of the solder lugs is about 3.5mm.

In stompbox measurements...that equals a mile!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

LightSoundGeometry

yeop..didnt think about it ..scudato knows whats up ..he will get me the right switch. I got two of these and they are both hammond, really nice ones. I ended up with these because blms is oos on the 1590b, once again me pulse shopping without taking measurements lol but I am glad i took the chance, I just love the size of the 1590g's

finished wet sanding them and now they are drying, hopefully the suns stays out (74F out today, light wind) and I can get a few dusting coats on..i have a new translucent lime I am dying to see :)

Cozybuilder

The low-profile switch is 0.65" from the flat (mounting surface) to the contact tip- you gain a lot of space using them.

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

davent

Had a blue in a 'g' and without the nut just fits, not the best arrangement. Recently got some stubbies from blms and they fit well, lots of extra thread inside the enclosure. Alpha sized and all 'round nicer then the blues.
Stubby

Blue

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

LightSoundGeometry

nice!  I need to get me some 3mm leds to

love the chicken head and cool paint !

LightSoundGeometry