An interesting service

Started by Mark Hammer, May 18, 2015, 10:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/?gclid=CIjCk4nEy8UCFZOFaQodHJgA1Q

We can get software for PCB layout and send it off for pro etching.  Now we can get front panels made for us.

mth5044

I just downloaded that this morning... very strange! Seems they have been around since at least 2005 though.

bloxstompboxes

I seem to remember something like this being posted very recently. But, I am too lazy and sore to look it up right now.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

mth5044

Turns out it's insanely expensive. Maybe it's just how much amp face plates tend to be, but I have a faceplate that is 12" x 3", 16 standard holes and labels for each hole, over $100 on bare aluminum. The words are what add it. It was anywhere between $1.50 and $3 per word. PER WORD! Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but that seems absurd.

Mark Hammer

Perhaps the price is why we haven't heard about them for a decade!

One of my sons made a faceplate for an A/V patch panel he made for himself last year, and did all the cutting and legending with the laser cutter in the hackspace he belongs to.  Mind you, it wasn't aluminum.

slacker

They're quite popular with the DIY synth crowd but yeah probably too pricey for the likes of us. I think the software can output in a format that you can print so you could use it for designing panels without using the rest of the service.

alanp

Yeah, I normally email the DXF files from FPE's software to Rullywow, and he lasers some plastic panels for me, muuuuuch cheaper.

FPE's quality is very, very high, though.

mth5044

I see rullywow's site, but don't seem to see anything about fabing panels? Is there a different contact?

alanp

Email him directly about it, he's a great guy :)

Brisance

This thing is great for drilling templates as well!

~arph

I've used them on my quad pt 2399 project a while back. Good software and great product. Bit expensive yes, but not too bad for small panels

Ice-9

Thanks for the info Mark, as said though these have been around for years, I thought they this service was common knowledge. I have never used them before but have played around with the software.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.