Using glue on a breadboard

Started by bluzeyonecat, May 20, 2015, 04:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluzeyonecat

Hey fellas! I know its alot like a carpenter leaving his hammer and nails at home and grabbing duct tape (ahh..duct tape..*sigh as if speaking of an old friend ;D*) to go do a job but please hear me out.
I recently lost my eye in my battle with cancer. Im getting by fine in my muso career but in terms of small projects, depth perception is a real gig. You mix that with a ten dollar soldering iron and poor soldering chops and disaster with strike..Promised and proven! Lol!
But, I do want to build cool stuff. Got a schem worked out after lots of swaps with components and recently scored and old school Erector set! How cool is that!? ;D
So, you see my dilemma. I'm not play.ning on selling anything . Just having fun. Plus I think the breadboard with the erector gig would look 70's/80's-tastic! But hey, I'm kinda weird like that. :)
So, is there a glue that would work on the breadboard? At least to get by until I can score better equipment? Thought about super glue just around the wire and breadboard connection. Not worried about glue for the ic. You ever pressed one of the now on b.b. lately? Them babies are pretty anchored. Thanks for all your time and help. You all have talk me sooo much already. Grazie! ;D

GibsonGM

What're you making, man?  A robot or something?? :)   

I'd worry that trying to glue wires into a BB might result in them becoming insulated, totally opposite of what you want!   You'd have to find a 'conducting glue', which might prove to be really hard! 

If you were handy enough to only get it on the wire insulation and plastic part of the board, and not down the holes, it might work....how about using a hot glue gun?  I've had luck with those, and it cures very fast (less time to seep down in).
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

bluzeyonecat

Thats a good idea! I'll give it a try. Thank you! :)

GibsonGM

Be sure to let us know if it works!!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

GGBB

It's not clear to me what you are trying to do, but if you just need to hold things like wires in place a bit better, try some Blu Tack or something like it.
  • SUPPORTER

Transmogrifox

How about dumping a layer of epoxy rosin on top of everything when you have it working the way you want it?  The stuff like they put on counter tops.

That would look pretty cool mounted on an erector set--especially if you have LED's planted in it.

Probably another thing you should do before you do anything permanent is get some of the anti-ox compound like electricians use:
http://www.legrand.us/ortronics/racks-cabinets/bonding-and-grounding/accessories/or-ajcc8.aspx#.VV4MO0Z0ub4
It's an anti-oxidation grease that you put on your wires.  Especially if you're using untinned copper connections.  The grease will prevent oxidation from forming in your connections. 

There's no going back after you glue all that stuff down with something like super glue or other hard-setting adhesives.

Regular low-temp hot glue is usually reversible.  That's one plus for hot glue.  The downside is if you want things to hold tight and be more permanent, it isn't good at attaching hard surfaces (like wire and BB plastic).  If you thought the circuits would get moved and/or disturbed, then you probably want something like epoxy or super glue.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

GGBB

Quote from: Transmogrifox on May 21, 2015, 12:54:10 PM
Probably another thing you should do before you do anything permanent is get some of the anti-ox compound like electricians use:
http://www.legrand.us/ortronics/racks-cabinets/bonding-and-grounding/accessories/or-ajcc8.aspx#.VV4MO0Z0ub4
It's an anti-oxidation grease that you put on your wires.  Especially if you're using untinned copper connections.  The grease will prevent oxidation from forming in your connections. 
the circuits would get moved and/or disturbed, then you probably want something like epoxy or super glue.

Or http://ralaudio.com/stabilant-22-contact-enhancer-m-2.html?info=stbrv000.

• SUPPORTER

davent

Here's a small turret board pedal where the board is cast in casting resin, might try something similar with a breadboard.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=19000.msg183942#msg183942

As you can see a pedal doesn't have to use tiny components, large ones work just as well, easy to see and work with. In soldering with no depth vision i've found that if i find the joint first with the solder, bringing in the iron accurately is not much of a problem.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bluzeyonecat

Thank you very much! That actually gave me a little boost of confidence that I needed. Was walking around a bit frustrated. Nothing worse than having an idea and hitting a roadblock when trying to make it a reality. Composing music is much easier in that department. ;D

CodeMonk

Hot glue is good most of the time, but like Transmogrifox said, it doesn't always stick well to some surfaces.
I'll generally use it for off-board wiring on the PCB itself to help support the wires.