Help with 9v DC Power Jack

Started by ODGreen27, May 22, 2015, 03:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ODGreen27

How would I wire this DC power jack without also connecting a battery clip? Every wiring diagram I have found includes a battery clip soldered to one of the pins, like the following:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_sgo_lo_wiring.pdf

I just built a Paul C. Timmy and I attempted to wire the DC Jack without also attaching a battery clip but I could not get it to work. I soldered the positive and ground leads as depicted in the above diagram and I left the pin with that is supposed to have the battery clip attached open. Voltage reading from the power supply was 9.5v. When the power supply was plugged into the DC jack I was getting a reading of 2.5v. Unsoldering the DC power jack and soldering a 9v battery clip directly to the positive and ground wires gave a reading of 9.5v and the pedal worked perfectly. How am I wiring the DC power jack wrong?

I used the following DC power jack:

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/dc-power/dc-power-jack-2-1mm-enclosed-frame-with-switch.html

mth5044

You did it correctly, just omit the the battery snap all together. Something is wrong with your circuit.

ODGreen27

Okay, thank you! This was my first build so something definitely is probably wrong somewhere. I just wanted to make sure before I do my next build. Thanks for your help!

GGBB

Quote from: ODGreen27 on May 22, 2015, 03:18:58 PMI soldered the positive and ground leads as depicted in the above diagram and I left the pin with that is supposed to have the battery clip attached open. Voltage reading from the power supply was 9.5v. When the power supply was plugged into the DC jack I was getting a reading of 2.5v. Unsoldering the DC power jack and soldering a 9v battery clip directly to the positive and ground wires gave a reading of 9.5v and the pedal worked perfectly.

That actually sounds to me more like something is wrong with either the supply or the jack (or possibly the soldering job). Where, how, and with what did you measure the voltage.
  • SUPPORTER

mth5044

I TL;DR'd after the 'I left the battery clip pin open'  :icon_lol: Oopsy. I blame it on the new forum software  :icon_wink:

If you're measuring DC on the power supply pre-plug in, at least we know it's not an AC adapter. And since you are at least getting some positive voltage when it's plugged in, assuming you're putting the probes on the right places, we know that the center is the correct polarity.

It sounds strange that a problematic jack would let some voltage through, 2.5V anyway. Do you have a photo of your work? GGBB is probably right with the soldering, as he usually is! Especially if this is your first jobber.

TGP39

Hi ODGreen27. It's really important that you understand how to successfully wire up your build. If the Timmy worked great when you hard wired the pedal, that should automatically tell you that your circuit is fine. The problem has to be in how you wired up the pedal in the beginning.

Look at the picture above. This shows you how to wire the DC JACK on 99% of your builds.  Notice the following:
1. The vertical pin is your ground pin.
2. There are two horizontal pins (these are your power pins) and here is how it works.  This is a "switched" power Jack. You can see that both the battery and the d/c power (from your adapter plugged into the wall) each has its own separate soldering pins. If you don't wish to use a battery, you simply don't solder anything to the battery pin, but if you do want both power sources available to power your pedal, you would solder both to their respective pin as shown above. If you don't have your adapter attached to the pedal, it will operate via the battery. As soon as you do plug in the power supply, the pedal automatically will switch to the d/c adapter power and turn off the battery power so you don't waste your battery.

If your d/c adapter power supply is 9.5 volts, then the power on your Jack should be 9.5 volts. Take a multimeter and set it to d/c voltage. Place the red lead on the horizontal d/c pin as shown in the picture above, then place the black lead on the vertical ground pin as shown above. What does your multimeter read?   

Mark Hammer

There are two "hot"/V+ pins.  One is closer to the ground lug than the other.  The way I remember them is that the one closer to the ground lug is "inside" (i.e., for the battery connection), and the one closer to the perimeter of the jack is for "outside" (i.e., external power supply).

Fender3D

BTW
if you'll never need a battery, you can solder the 2 positve lugs together, as well....
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

duck_arse

I once ordered some dc jacks from tayda. when they arrived, I idly checked them for contact, 4 out of ten made no contact with a dc plug. check your stock, tell them it's faulty, get a credit or replacement.

don't make me draw another line.