New Touch Screen at Sparkfun

Started by mth5044, May 23, 2015, 10:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mth5044

Datasheet makes it look like something similar to a joystick, two potentiometers on two axis, but in a touchscreen format. Like a big, two dimensional membrane pot. I'm sure some better brains could find it useful in some projects!

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13631?utm_source=SparkFun+Customer+Newsletter&utm_campaign=f4a06cb31d-May22_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa5287abaf-f4a06cb31d-61482901

Puguglybonehead

Could be useful for onboard effects if the current consumption is low enough. (haven't read the specs yet) If you could use it to control multiple parameters on something like a delay or a flanger or a Gristleizer then it could be mad fun. Mounted somewhere near the tailpiece on a guitar, so it's reachable but you won't touch it accidentally. Hmmm...

PRR

"Backorder"; however the site in the datasheet seems to be abandoned ("domain may be for sale").

> if the current consumption is low enough

I suspect they are very high impedance, maybe 100K+. The intent is to read them in a 3-cent ADC such as in a $2 PIC or GameBoy brain, and that does not need real power.
  • SUPPORTER

mth5044

Quote from: PRR on May 23, 2015, 04:09:57 PM
"Backorder"; however the site in the datasheet seems to be abandoned ("domain may be for sale").

Weird, it was just the headliner of their newsletter.

samhay

Resistive touch screens have gone out of a fashion - I suspect most/all contemporary mobile phones use capacitive screens now, so this technology is on its way to becoming mojo. That said, a search of "4 wire analog resistive touch screen" finds at least one on ebay for sensible money.
While it could certainly look cool, not sure if the enclosure real estate is best used this way if it is only used to replace the function of 2 pots.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com