Tried an enclosure etch, couple questions.

Started by karbomusic, May 23, 2015, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karbomusic

My first second third enclosure etch attempt.  Do you guys normally do anything else at this point or should I leave it as-is?

Do people use gloss? Is there any way to add color without sanding much? It's not very deep but some color would be nice in one of the etched sections. I'm pretty happy with it but curious as to the norm post etch.

bloxstompboxes

Beautiful. I like it as is. I have heard that some people clear it. Others leave it as is.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

vigilante397

I think it looks fantastic, worlds above every etch I ever attempted. I have seen some good results with gloss over the top, most of the time I think it just look tacky though. I have had the best results with leaving the metal bare but baking the enclosure post-sanding to make sure the paint hardens nicely. Not really sure about adding color to it, though I have seen people use acrylic paints and a fine brush to add some in afterward.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

jubal81

Awesome as-is. I wouldn't do another thing to it - well, other than drill and stuff it. Nice job!

karbomusic

Thanks, all. I didn't know the usual procedure so thought I'd ask. The camera angle was to my advantage meaning the etched areas aren't quite as black as they appear. That's fine but didn't know if there was an easier way to blacken it or other steps that should be taken in general. I think I'll solder up a PCB and box it up tonight either way.

TGP39

Arcane Analog

Many times the etched portions will oxidize and rust which will change the etched portions colour. This can be great if you like the colour or bad if you want it to stay dark. To keep it dark and make it look even darker you can clear coat.

aron

mcknib

That is an absolute beauty really great looking etch. I always thinly clear coat mine a couple of times just to as mentioned stop possible oxidisation, protect it a wee bit etc.

There's a post here in 'etched enclosures' from rocket8810 where he has used red translucent paint for colour and it looks great but with yours I'd definitely leave it as is. On the same page there's also a reverse etch from Beo using blue paint to cover the un-etched parts again great etch.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=85803.1740

karbomusic

Thanks for the tips everyone...

Finished it up today...

Brisance

italianguy63

Cool!  I have been playing with UV (purple) LEDs too lately.  I like them, but you can't get high brightness out of them...

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on May 25, 2015, 06:44:28 AM
Cool!  I have been playing with UV (purple) LEDs too lately.  I like them, but you can't get high brightness out of them...

MC

Thanks! Well, they are UV, maybe what you aren't seeing is giving you a tan.   8)

Forgot to mention, being so familiar with the build, it's the first one I've done from start to finish without testing before boxing and it didn't work the first time I fired it up. Anyone want to guess why? .....  :icon_eek:

Brisance

duck_arse

QuoteAnyone want to guess why? .....

not enough cat? and what's your pot wiring colour-code again?

it does look v. nice, though. tasteful use of the purple knob.
don't make me draw another line.

italianguy63

Quote from: duck_arse on May 25, 2015, 11:08:14 AM
QuoteAnyone want to guess why? .....

not enough cat? and what's your pot wiring colour-code again?

it does look v. nice, though. tasteful use of the purple knob.

+1

Ha!  You can never have enough cat, purple knob, or Trololo...

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

garcho

bravo, it looks gorgeous!
if you want to add color without having to sand much, paint markers are a good way to go. just write over the etched stuff in whatever colors you want and you'll only have to sand gently and briefly, to get the crested paint off the edges of the etched areas.
sharpie brand oil markers work well, but the marker itself gets f'd up before you've used all the pigment, plus they can be leaky (never pump the tip ON what you're painting, duh - yes, but I've done it before :icon_redface:). not too many colors to choose from either. molotow brand have way higher quality (and price!), they also have way cooler colors than sharpie. someone here turned me on to them, can't remember who, though. you can find them at better art stores. deco color brand seems like a better marker than sharpie, and has cooler colors than sharpie, they're also cheaper than molotow, but they're oily and weird and bleed and generally seem like they're not useful for painting on metal, too bad. plus they run like hell with certain types of clear coat. gotta learn more about paint chemistry i guess...
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

karbomusic

All good info Gary, thanks. I think I need to take a scrap back plate or something to experiment on so that I don't screw up what I have. Time to go marker shopping. :) I do have some metallic colored markers I use on black surfaces. Might have to play with those as well.

italianguy63

I get "Painters" brand by Elmer.  They are even in the craft section in Walmart even...

They aren't real cheap-- I think about $3.50 each.. but they come in several varity of tip widths and colors.

MC