Tried an enclosure etch, couple questions.

Started by karbomusic, May 23, 2015, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on May 25, 2015, 03:49:06 PM
I get "Painters" brand by Elmer.  They are even in the craft section in Walmart even...

They aren't real cheap-- I think about $3.50 each.. but they come in several varity of tip widths and colors.

MC

Nice, will check those out. I have a 1590B in the water now. Time to see if I can actually repeat the process with any kind of consistency.

karbomusic

Had a salient moment when I realized I should just etch the position of the pilot holes, duh. I probably should have polished it more and not let it soak as long but will work for now...

A mockup box up (haven't soldered the PCB yet)...

deadastronaut

beauties...looking great man, 8)

i used to clearcoat, but it looks nasty after a while with digs n scratches...may as well have painted.. ::)

now i just leave bare,   (for boxes with just toner on i still lightly clear just the top.)

for odd bits of colour just dab in a little with a brush/ matchstick/ %^&*tail stick etc..broom... :D

ive been looking at glass paint lately to dab in areas...nice and transluscent...

and to make uv/or blue leds darker/rich purple....coz i'm fussy.. :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Ah, %^&*tails sticks - you get them in S@#$%horpe, right?  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

I believe Nic Dakin is the local MP, if that's what you mean??   :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

garcho

Etching of the pilot holes is the second best part about etching.
What software do you use? I love Inkscape for etching. And for being free...
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

karbomusic

Quote from: garcho on May 26, 2015, 10:02:58 AM
Etching of the pilot holes is the second best part about etching.
What software do you use? I love Inkscape for etching. And for being free...

I've used Photoshop for various ventures since the late 90s, meaning I know it so well that's what I use. I use InkScape some but not much yet since I can't operate it in my sleep like I can PS.

And yea, etching the pilot holes was really neat; saved a lot of time/worry. :)

i used to clearcoat, but it looks nasty after a while with digs n scratches...may as well have painted.. ::)

Yes sir... That was my concern so thanks for the confirmation.

Quotefor odd bits of colour just dab in a little with a brush/ matchstick/ %^&*tail stick etc..broom... :D

ive been looking at glass paint lately to dab in areas...nice and transluscent...

I like the translucent idea. I keep staring at the box thinking there must be a magical way in 2015 to only affect the etched areas but so far, not so easy.  :icon_surprised:

deadastronaut

dab the colours in, then sand of any excess....

karbomusic

Quote from: deadastronaut on May 26, 2015, 10:41:52 AM
dab the colours in, then sand of any excess....

I tried that, maybe I just need to be on a super hard/flatter surface. Ref.. The ox head in the etch above... it's too wide and the paper grabs when sanding and it's not that shallow. I'm sure I need some more practice as well since I don't have a 'feel' for the entire process yet. However, marking it then sanding worked better which is what I did in the second etch where I did nothing in the first.

Btw.... All the replies have been very helpful so a huge thanks to all.

garcho

i put a big piece of sand paper on a large pane of glass, wet my hands, then drizzle some drips over the sandpaper, then sand the box upside down moving it straightly, quickly and lightly. the glass, being a super-cooled liquid (and in my case, very old) is certainly far from perfectly flat, but i find that the enclosures themselves are so uneven that what variation in flatness the glass has is marginal. i also use both my hands to press the box down so i don't veer left or right so easily.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

italianguy63

Quote from: karbomusic on May 25, 2015, 09:49:23 AM
Quote from: italianguy63 on May 25, 2015, 06:44:28 AM
Cool!  I have been playing with UV (purple) LEDs too lately.  I like them, but you can't get high brightness out of them...

MC

Thanks! Well, they are UV, maybe what you aren't seeing is giving you a tan.   8)

Forgot to mention, being so familiar with the build, it's the first one I've done from start to finish without testing before boxing and it didn't work the first time I fired it up. Anyone want to guess why? .....  :icon_eek:

OMG!  I have you beat on the STOOPID TRICK.

Finished a pedal yesterday-- no worky.  Only passing tone in bypass mode.  Nuts!  Threw it aside.

Today... broke out the signal generator and the audio probe (That Henry Rollins still holds for me).  Anyway.. start probing...

Getting signal all through but not to the output jack.  Flip it over.........

Gain knob on zero.

Are you kidding me!!   :o

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on May 28, 2015, 09:56:31 AM
Anyway.. start probing...

Getting signal all through but not to the output jack.  Flip it over.........

Gain knob on zero.

Are you kidding me!!   :o

MC

HA HA! I feel for ya bro!

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad