A looper, oscillators and filters. (EMS Synthi AKS inspired) NEEDING HELP

Started by Kevin Mitchell, May 26, 2015, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Mitchell

Hello everyone. I'll try to keep this topic short and sweet. I'd like anyone interested or informed to point me in the right direction regarding building this monster.

But first, here's a little inspiration;

There it is. I want to build something very similar to that synth to recreate the song On the Run. I'm thinking a guitar through some fuzz would handle the synth controller part and from there is where the ideas start to roll.

I'm still gathering oh so much information on this thing and my ideas are only broadening. So far I think I'm going to try to keep the best functions (especial the joy stick and what I think is a feedback cancel switch next to it?  :icon_cool:) and rework the pin-patch controller to something more simple such as a few toggles. Long way to go before that point though.

So to start - anyone who has had some experience with this monster please leave a comment about your experience and how it worked.

At the moment I'm trying to find a looper (Up to 10 second sample looper triggered by a momentary switch) which then could speed up the loop as the Synthi would to then be filtered through oscillators and so on - the fun part. Might have to find an 8 step sequencer to follow the looper, what do you guys think?

Send me;
Simple loopers (please, no programming if possible)
8 step sequencers (if needed, unsure at the moment)
Synthi type VCOs/LFOs to modulate/manipulate the signal
Any beneficial or considerate information!

The main goal here is to recreate that iconic song with something we could call a stompbox using a guitar or some other sampler (like a keyboard synth phone app) I may omit allot of original controls for the sake of saving space, especially for the prototypes. Mostly want the oscillators, filters and use of the joystick for a little more fun. As I said, far more research to do. But please help me kick this into gear so I can start workout this project out. Sad to say I'm not experienced enough to tackle this project all on my own. Also the lower the voltage, the more comfortable I am. Be mindful :)

Many updates coming regarding ideas, troubleshooting and progress. Please get involved. Help the learning process be a little less painful if you could.

Take care!
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

croopy

can you not look for a vst plugin?, cheap option.
That is a very simple trick if you play synths, the guy pushed up the resonance to self oscillate and used the lfo depth &  speed and altered the cutoff to make the sound you liked, the actual synth sound seams pretty generic.
I would pick a Roland SH-101, why go on the run when you can go on a rampage..

or this guy ..
Quote from: frequencycentral on January 24, 2009, 03:19:35 PM
Well here's my EMS Synthi A clone - so anything is possible.

http://www.cem3374.com/archive

Kevin Mitchell

Thanks. But no I'm not interested in any software or unit purchases . I'm aiming to build a work-a-like unit to throw on my pedal board.

I've seen that thread with the pic of the clone! Wish frequencycentral had some pointers but I believe he noted that it was his brother who built two of those units (one to him). I am jealous.

A simple trick if you play synths? Well I haven't really played one (other messing with a midi keyboard and some mini-moog vst's) so regarding designing (what this thread is about) - no I don't think it's simple. Especially for myself at this moment.

I'm still looking for examples of;
A simple looper (no more than 10 seconds needed really)
(VCOs and/or LFOs that fit this project)
Information regarding tools / designs needed to achieve this small scale "work-a-like"

And I mean schematics. Not something I could simply buy. There's a reason why I spend my time on forums rather than cataloging some gear magazine.

At the least I'd like people to shoot the bull about this effect and the project goal.
  • SUPPORTER

slacker

I don't know if this helps but this is basically what is going on in the video. The keyboard is a sequencer, it creates different voltages depending on what key you press and can record and play them back at different speeds, this could be replaced by a more normal sequencer that uses pots to set the different voltage levels instead. The sequence of voltages then controls a VCO, making it play the basic tune, that's the fairly boring sound you hear when Dave is playing the notes in. The output from the oscillator is then fed through a filter being swept by an LFO, that's the big sweepy sound that comes in about 40 seconds.
The "drum" sound is a white noise generator controlled by a VCA (voltage controlled amp) probably controlled by a another LFO or an envelope generator.
If you're going to use a guitar or keyboard to get the basic sound then the most important things you need are a filter and an LFO.

I would start by looking at some of the stuff on the Music From Outer Space site, either of these
Noise toaster or Soundlab
would be good places to start. Even if you don't buy one there's schematics and loads of great information there and it will give you an idea of the sort of thing you're looking at.

Beware once you go down the DIY synth rabbit hole you might never return......

croopy

http://www.cem3374.com/archive all the schematics you want will be here just pick out what hardware you like
http://deadastronaut.wix.com/index#!__tremshifter this is kinda close to what you wish to build, controllable filter sweep,
maybe you only need to synch the lfo ... :)
@slacker nice links thank you :)

Kevin Mitchell

Thanks Slacker that's awesome information - great site as well! I've already looked into their stuff extensively just last week. Regarding the sequencer, I was unsure of it thanks for clarifying. The first thing I've researched was 8 step sequencers. I think I should work on a standalone pedal for now if a sequencer with some noise generators and so on will get me where I want to be. Just for now - then things will get far more wild.

If you're familiar with any 8 step sequencers I may be interested in please let me know! I've seen some interesting ones but many not verified. Not sure if they are what I'm looking for.

Also thanks for explaining the "drum" sound. I really couldn't figure that one out on my own. It's a necessity to this project. I have allot of work ahead of me. Far more researching and experimenting ahead. Just don't want it to be a massive project. Want to fit it in a 185 x 115 x 35mm box. That's the plan at least. Or I throw a noise toaster and a sequencer in there and see what happens  :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER

croopy

this
http://m.bareille.free.fr/ds7clone/ds7.htm

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-6386-25.html <veroboard

or the ds-8, as cv & gate control, will make the analogue sounds you need, few alterations and you have the filter sweep for ext sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33PSOgMr9_I