question ...copyright free schematic for my website

Started by groovecraft, May 26, 2015, 06:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groovecraft

I amp building breadboard kits for fellow pedal builders...i want to have a website that has schematics forpeople to use with my kit. I dont want to put any schematics that other website have gone thru the work of drawing out for their website exclusively. And i dont know the ettiquette of copying schematics and placing on my site ...i would love fellow builders to share their effecrs on my site also...also how do i know if a schematic is ok to place on my site?..of course i know if their is a copyright plainly marked on the schematic...nor would i ever use a schematic that has been marked without that sites permission...any advice would be greatly appreciated...

electrosonic

I would redraw the schematics. That would take care of the copyright issues. As bonus, having all the schematics in a similar style looks much better and will help build your "brand". (for lack of a better term).

Look at the Beavis Audio site to see what I mean

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

R.G.

There are exactly two ways to not have copyright issues with schematics on your web site. They are:
(1) Have a written (even written electronically) statement from the copyright holder that you either have specific permission to use it or general permission because it's public domain,
-or-
(2) Draw it yourself, in a manner that is different enough that a jury (!) would conclude that you did not directly hand copy the earlier version. This makes YOU the copyright holder, so you can give yourself permission to use it.

As seldom as this seems to happen, many people will give you permission if you ask them politely. This takes less time, I think. I don't know why it's not used more.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

MaxPower

You can copyright schematics? What a pantload.

Draw them from right to left (inputs on right, outputs on left).
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

bendeane

Quote from: MaxPower on May 27, 2015, 01:42:01 AM
You can copyright schematics? What a pantload.

Draw them from right to left (inputs on right, outputs on left).
If I understand correctly, the circuit isn't necessarily protected under copyright laws, just the drawing someone makes of the circuit. It's somewhat akin to someone's artwork. And once it's recorded in some medium, it's protected. As soon as I put lyrics to paper, they are protected, as soon as I put a circuit on paper as a schematic, that representation of the circuit is my artwork and protected (just that drawing, not the circuit itself).

R.G.

You are correct. Circuits may be patented, but schematics are protected as a picture or painting may be.

It's funny, but the consequences of copyright infringement are more legally severe in many cases than patent infringement. In the USA, if the creator of the copyrighted material has taken certain steps, including registering their copyrighted material with the copyright office, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) provides for automatic damages of up to $100,000 for a *first*, *non-commercial* infringement. The music industry lobbied congress and got some draconian legal protections so they could go after music downloaders, then quit trying to go after downloaders when it ruined their public image. (what a surprise)

But the law is there. If you happen to just copy the wrong stuff from someone who knows the rules and has done the legal dance steps, the courts might make them rich at your expense.  Call it a kind of copyright lottery. Even if you're a minor, your parents are liable. Things get much more complicated across national borders with some countries supporting other countries' copyright rules, others acting like a safe haven and not enforcing anything, or even encouraging copying.

Patent infringement has different consequences in different countries, but in the USA the patent owner has to sue the infringer on their own and fund the lawsuit.

So, pantload or not, copyright is real, and covers schematics, but not the circuits underlying the schematic.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ice-9

As suggested in a post above, just ask, it is the most polite and will probably gain more respect for future usage of other things from the owner. You will most likely be surprised at how many would grant you the use of, and of course in the long run you may end up starting a mutual friendship with them.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

midwayfair

There's no such thing as "copyright free." What you are looking for is license. For instance, the Creative Commons (which all my stuff -- including my music -- is licensed under) permits, often without written permission, the use of copyrighted material for e.g. derivative works.

The person who draws the schematic ALWAYS retains the copyright and CANNOT GIVE IT UP. This means that they always control its use.

I just wanted to put this here so that you know what you're asking for. The easiest thing to do is still to draw your own schematic, and attribute the reference source if possible.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

PRR

> The person who draws the schematic ALWAYS retains the copyright

I believe there is Work For Hire. If my boss (company) orders me to draw, the copyright resides in the company, not in me.
  • SUPPORTER

R.G.

Actually, in the USA at least, the copyright originator may sell, donate or otherwise transfer their ownership right in the work in question. I believe this is true in some other countries as well. Probably in other countries there are other rules.

That's one reason it's called intellectual *property*.
R.G.

rumbletone

Quote from: R.G. on May 29, 2015, 10:56:41 PM
Actually, in the USA at least, the copyright originator may sell, donate or otherwise transfer their ownership right in the work in question. I believe this is true in some other countries as well. Probably in other countries there are other rules.

That's one reason it's called intellectual *property*.

Yes - I'm not aware of any countries where the 'economic' copyrights are not assignable (if there are any such countries, it's not many). 'Moral rights' (common outside the US) such as the right to be associated with the work and the right not to have the work modified the prejudice of the honour or reputation of the author, are generally not assignable, but may be waived in most cases - i.e., it is typically for the author to assert or waive, independent of the ownership of the rights of reproduction, etc. That said, in most industries it is typical for authors to waive moral rights in favor of assignees/licensees as part of the assignment/license, though it's certainly not unheard of for authors to retain some rights or for the assignees or licensees to agree to some restrictions (for example, agreeing to name the author).

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Interesting read, RG. As usual you have a way of saying things that is original and helpful.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com