Building the classics - Big Muff/Tubescreamer

Started by nickbungus, June 01, 2015, 08:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickbungus

Hi All.  I just wanted a bit of advice really.  I've built quite a few pedals now and I've definitely got better along the way.

The pedals I see more written about than any other pedals are the Big Muff and the Ibanez Tube Screamer.  I've never played through either of them although a few Digital Multi-Effects things I've had over the years have had emulations.

So, I think I should definitely add these to my build collection (which is just a shelf with loads of circuits and wires as I never get to enclose them successfully!!)

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, there are a few versions of both of these, which versions are the classic and/or best sounding that I should build?

Thanks
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

Luke51411

All of them  ;D
http://stompage.juansolo.co.uk/Muffs.htm
The part numbering is based on madbean's mudbunny board. Another great board is GrindcustomsFX ultra stoner which has a few onboard mods. I'm sorry, you're probably overwhelmed now. I've built the Civil War version, Triangle, and Ultrastoner and I've liked the Civil War and ultrastoner best so far. GuitarPCB has a good muff board as well.

nickbungus

Err... Thanks Luke.  Very comprehensive.   :-[

I will check out the Ultrastoner and the Civil War!

Luke51411

Quote from: nickbungus on June 01, 2015, 09:49:38 AM
Err... Thanks Luke.  Very comprehensive.   :-[

I will check out the Ultrastoner and the Civil War!
Haha ignore everything I said if you are now overwhelmed. Basically just pick one and start building! Some of them will vary somewhat in sound but if there is a certain tone you are after some versions may be able to do it better than others. Also, tagboard effects pretty much has layouts for all the versions on vero if you like building on vero.

nickbungus

Quote from: Luke51411 on June 01, 2015, 09:58:04 AM
... tagboard effects pretty much has layouts for all the versions on vero if you like building on vero.

I'm an etching man.  I can't stand vero!  Everything is too squashed and for a novice like me its too hard to follow the paths.

What are considered the de facto versions maybe a better question?  Maybe this is the way to start.  I can always start adding mods to switch components and I always socket my trannies and ICs.

Luke51411

Quote from: nickbungus on June 01, 2015, 10:21:35 AM
Quote from: Luke51411 on June 01, 2015, 09:58:04 AM
... tagboard effects pretty much has layouts for all the versions on vero if you like building on vero.

I'm an etching man.  I can't stand vero!  Everything is too squashed and for a novice like me its too hard to follow the paths.

What are considered the de facto versions maybe a better question?  Maybe this is the way to start.  I can always start adding mods to switch components and I always socket my trannies and ICs.
You could always socket a few R's and C's and audition different versions. If you are not really sure what you are after tonewise, I would just pick a version, build it and then describe what you like/don't like and someone can point you towards mods or a different version of the circuit that will better suit your tastes. It seems like a lot of people start out with Triangle or Ram's head versions.

nickbungus

Thank you so much Luke.

Any preference on versions of the Ibanez Tube Screamer?

mth5044

nickbungus

I suppose I could identify a few components and SOT them.

Quote"SOT". This means "select on test". The resistor is replaced by header pins and you try different resistors by wrapping them on the pins - AnotherJim

nickbungus

Thanks Matt.  I did hear a Youtube clip where I felt the TS9 sounded better but that could be to do with a lot of other factors so I'll go with that.  Thanks

digi2t

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Mark Hammer

My advice is to build a "classic" of each, but leave a slot on the board empty for switching things.  So, for example, the 47nf cap on the ground leg of the clipping stage in the TS; changing the value will get you different kinds of tones.  Same goes for changing the tonestack component values on the BMP.  Not to suggest these are the only things to tinker with.  But they provide useful bang for the buck, in terms of being simple mods, with available parts.

Get yourself a fistful of 3-way On-Off-On SPDT or DPDT toggles, and a slightly bigger than usual chassis, and play with the options.  There's a lot of stuff where you might be able to put in a control knob, but 2 or 3 choices is enough to get useful variation.

Elijah-Baley

I built just few pedals, TS808 is completed and my Big Muff is out of the box, yet :(.

My TS808 had a switch for the bass boost (keeley mod), and another mod about the gain: I added a bit of gain, but I had cut the gain when the pot is at low setting. So I can get a real clean sound.
Further, I can choose the stock clipping (1N914) or red led clipping.

My Big Muff is a Ram's Head, GGG version.

Quote from: nickbungus on June 01, 2015, 11:19:59 AM
I suppose I could identify a few components and SOT them.

I tested some components. Following this famous schematic:
http://www.kitrae.net/music/Images_Secret_Music_Page/BIG%20MUFF%20CIRCUIT%20GUIDE.jpg
I tested: Input Cap, Clipping/Blocking Cap (both clipping stage), Coupling Cap in the Output Stage, Feedback Filter Cap (both clipping stage). That is all capacitor.
I tested some resistor, but with my method test it was difficult to hear slight difference.

These is some components you could be test in these two circuits.
I found very useful my tests with the TS808, and indeed I had improve it following my preferences, with the Big Muff in the end I had mantained the "starting" version.

Good Luck!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

mth5044

Quote from: nickbungus on June 01, 2015, 11:22:40 AM
Thanks Matt.  I did hear a Youtube clip where I felt the TS9 sounded better but that could be to do with a lot of other factors so I'll go with that.  Thanks

I happen to agree with you, but I think the 808 is supposed to be 'the' classic TS. Frankly, I prefer other over drives, even other tube screamer type pedals.

Gus

i would build a nice treble boost(RM like) before a TS.

nickbungus

Actually, looking at the Tonepad layout, which seems nice and clean, there's only 2 resistors difference between the 808 and the TS9 so I think I'll just use a rotary switch to swap between the two.

That's that one sorted, now to decide the Big Muff!

nickbungus

Quote from: Gus on June 02, 2015, 04:12:33 AM
i would build a nice treble boost(RM like) before a TS.

Thanks Gus, I have a fine collection of Treble Boosters already.  Being simple circuits, that's where I started.

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: nickbungus on June 02, 2015, 04:14:51 AM
Actually, looking at the Tonepad layout, which seems nice and clean, there's only 2 resistors difference between the 808 and the TS9 so I think I'll just use a rotary switch to swap between the two.
[...]

Just try it with a socket before. For many people there's no meaning differences.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

nickbungus

Thanks everyone for your help.  I've got my PCB masks for my Rams Head and Tubescreamer - time to get busy!

disto

You could try socketing some of the components, the difference between the circuits are normally only a few components. If you socket these components you could switch them and see which you like.

For the tube screamer, R.G. Keens Technology of article is very good, it can be found here http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm. I think it talks about the different version and which component values are used.

For the big muff there is loads of information at http://www.bigmuffpage.com. Pedal parts sell a multi muff kit, there is a great table with all the different component values for each version, the pdf is here http://pedalparts.co.uk/docs/MultiMuff.pdf the table is on page 6 (when I looked).