help on od/boost

Started by LightSoundGeometry, June 01, 2015, 10:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

same thing over and over, with 3 different ones for weeks now ..over 25 separate builds and nothing ..previous to this I made 3 so I know I can do it

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/01/lovepedal-delux-sixty.html

does nothing

D = 87.4 mv

G = 2.3mv

S = 5.4 mv

2.3mv off the + of the 47u

..this is crazy ..I swear I built over 30 + last two weeks and nothing will work ..nothing . you read the comments and its like - easy, simple, only few parts, verified etc ..I am using the new 50 gun to ..

just the last 10-15 or so that never worked ...

Cozybuilder

The resistor values look right. Is that a BS170?
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

aron

LightSoundGeometry

using a wall wart and a voodoo lab, both ..no battery

its a bs170 mosfet

antonis

Verify Mosfet's firm contact with socket.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

LightSoundGeometry

I am a grown man,,and I am goign to break down and cry

I cant even get lucky and get 1/50 tries to work ...

maybe the tayda board is bad.

cold solder but thy all look shiny

would say layout but I made one before and others have to

maybe its teh new WP30 solder gun? all the ones I did that worked were with a radio shack gun

bad solder?

see any parts out of place?

maybe my DMM is broken and telling a part works and really it doesnt ?

mis marked partt? wrong spot?

antonis

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on June 02, 2015, 07:11:19 AM
I am a grown man,,and I am goign to break down and cry

Please don't...!!!

(otherwise you'll confirm the ancient myth about MosFets revenge..) :icon_wink:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Cozybuilder

Your parts are in the correct locations, the layout is correct for the Lovepedal Delux Sixty, there has to be a soldering issue or a bridge. Take a step back and search for vero board prep and pick up some tips there. I think the vero strips might be oxidized and are preventing you from doing a good solder job. Use flux. Breadoard the circuit as well and write down the voltages, the ones you supplied above are very suspect. It could be dead parts, measure your resistors to verify values before installing, the usual troubleshooting stuff. The circuit will work, you'll find the problem.

LightSoundGeometry

its that resistor ..its a brown band and thus 390 ohm ..waiting on solder gun to heat up and put in the proper one

my optimism now is through the roof..rollercoaster ride up and down..you guys on here are amazing though ..me being a dummy and not reading my parts right because i tested those and didnt catch it I saw the numbers and forgot the sign

now I know why my first year physics teacher was so darn picky and strict about labeling, organizing, note keeping and follwing steps ..school just let out few weeks ago and I am scared to look at my grade to see if I passed lol ..I quit tracking my points after frst few tests but I think I got  C

Cozybuilder

If you are referring to the first resistor on the left, I'm seeing orange-orange-brown, that is 330 ohms.

LightSoundGeometry

330R is corect n this one

italianguy63

Dude.. we've all been through it.  I remember 2 particular bad stretches I went through:

1-- Did a PC board.  The diagram for the transistors was backwards (actually upside down)-- it was printed on the opposite side of the board as intended.  Thus, all the transistors were backwards.  I built NUMEROUS boards that didn't work.  Lesson:  Don't believe everything that is printed, even if you did it yourself!  Check it.  Check it.  And, check it again.  I finally solved it by doing a trace by trace check of the PCB vs. the schematic.

2-- Binned some resistors in a drawer wrong-- 10 of them.  Wrought havoc on my builds.. i.e.  like 220K in a 220R drawer... After about 3 failed builds, and great help from the people on this site-- found the common demominator and the remaining mis-binned resistors.  Lesson:  I leave the resistor IN the baggies they come in now in the drawers.  Yep, it slows down the process.  Lesson2:  Slow down.  It's not a race.  Work carefully, it is better in the long run.

You'll figure this out.  I have faith in you.

Build a signal generator and an audio probe!!

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

samhay

>over 25 separate builds and nothing

While this tends to suggest something about ones ability to learn from their experiences, can I suggest you put the soldering iron down and get the breadboard out?
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

LightSoundGeometry

I tried..I can follow the flow to a certain point ...hard for me to lay it out on the breadboard ..I spent hours and hours trying ..still trying and still going to try

I even tried to go point to point with it along with the breadboard trust me

GibsonGM

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on June 02, 2015, 08:46:28 AM
I tried..I can follow the flow to a certain point ...hard for me to lay it out on the breadboard ..I spent hours and hours trying ..still trying and still going to try

I even tried to go point to point with it along with the breadboard trust me

That's why I totally hate tagboard, VERO stuff.    Schematic + breadboard = success, for these kinds of builds.  WHERE is the schematic?  Nowhere.  So we have to trace the thing ourselves to see what's up with it.   If you want to learn (and you really seem like you do), build things that you can SEE via schematic, to understand how the parts inter-relate.  Just my 2 cents.    Having to track down errors with no data - that's like the curse of all time!   

The breadboard probably isn't good for something at RF, but our things are totally primitive in comparison to "that" end of the electronics world.     And they really help save you $$$ on all those wasted parts!!!  ;)

<rant off>> 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

graylensman

+1 on what GibsonGM said. I went through the gut-wrenching money-wasting tears phase, until I bought a breadboard and learned how to read schematics. Since then, my success rate is nearly perfect, because I make the mistakes on the breadboard and fix them there.

Cozybuilder

LSG- I admire your enthusiasm, and share your pain.

It seems a lot of us are offering the same advice- to learn to read schematics, breadboard the circuit first, verify components etc.

I would suggest that you draw out the schematic of any circuit you are considering building, and learn what each component does. You are working from a Vero layout of an overdrive that others have given great reviews on. Start there- draw out this schematic. Start at the input, and draw that in, the input cap, etc, until each of the components is drawn. Verify that all the connections agree with what the Vero has. Doing this type of exercise will help you read both layouts and schematics and translate back and forth.

Start simple here, and do several easy circuits, you will start noticing similarities in how the components are connected.

You can layout your breadboard like the schematic, establish a ground bus along the bottom, and a power bus along the top. Verify that there is continuity along the whole bus.

duck_arse

I'd say (if anyone was to ask) just two things:

this:
Quote from: GibsonGM on June 02, 2015, 09:13:12 AM
.... Schematic + breadboard = success, .....

is sig worthy.

and: stop soldering. you've got a stack of stuff there, we've got plenty of time to work thru them one after the other, and it'll only take a couple before you'll spot the common "thing", and there must be one, that's stopping you frum having the biggest (fully working) pedalboard in your street. once you know the what, it'll be easy peasy.

and: don't listen to anything I say.

three things .....
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

slacker

Remove the mosfet and with power connected, measure the voltages on the socket where the mosfet was. You should get
D = about 9 volts
G = about 4.5 volts
S = 0

If you don't what do you get?

LightSoundGeometry

woke up top go bathroom..have this on notify ..will post tomorrow after I sleep lol !

you guys are amazing and the best !