DIY tactile footswitch

Started by armdnrdy, June 02, 2015, 10:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

Read Ganssle again.

All switches bounce. The absolute worst ones are the ones where your samples happen to be good (or happen to fit your prototype's bounce immunity, such as it is) but the next batch doesn't.

If you're using a switch, it is Very Wise to assume it will bounce, and then think about whether you can stand it if it does, and what ramifications that has.

My experience is that Ganssle is an optimist.   :icon_lol:  I have seen his recommended circuit fail.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

armdnrdy

After reading your post...I canceled the party, called off all of my friends, and sent the caterers packing...but...I kept the case of Dom Perignon! I'm sure there will be reason to celebrate something in the near future!  :icon_cool:

Please excuse the exuberant extrapolation of my last post.

If I had a dime for every time something worked as planned...I could buy a better footswitch!

So..my findings..which are based on one DIY switch and one other type of footswitch might be a bit preliminary....but...it looks pretty good so far!  :icon_mrgreen:

Okay...the party is back on!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

R.G.

Quote from: armdnrdy on June 10, 2015, 09:15:20 PM
Okay...the party is back on!
Good. At least you kept the champers.  :icon_biggrin: No reason you should not use extravagant extrapolation as a tool, or just a friend.  :icon_biggrin:

I went through much of this back when my day job changed over to its current actuators-plus-tactile switches. I got there, but it eventually needed Schmitt/snap action or software debounce. I actually found it was better for me to ignore debouncing at the switch, and make it a part of the circuit being switched. It was certainly easier to locate the debouncing parts there.  :icon_lol:

One reason for my pessimism is that I was trying to make ironclad-sure that I would not one day get a call that 80% of the latest manufacturing run was failing ship test - or worse, that 30% of the latest batch were failing in customer's hands. Ack!! Engineer's nightmare!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

armdnrdy

There's nothing wrong with iron-clad sure!
I practice the same philosophy at my day job., (Industrial Electrical Contractor)

I do not believe in hacking things or the "it looks good from my house" mentality.
I bullet proof my designs and installations.

I attempt to approach my hobby (stomp box building) from the same angle but...sometimes my lack of knowledge keeps me from fully realizing....what I'm doing...may not be the best way!

I'm learning...slowly  :icon_wink:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)