Question about Small Bear's Dual concentric pots

Started by acehobojoe, June 04, 2015, 11:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acehobojoe

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/alpha-dual-gang-9mm-pc-mount-dual-concentric/

Found this, and it looks intriguing! I really want to try to use it for a dual gain knob on a pedal! my only issue is that I need about 500k of resistance and these only go up to about 100k.

Is there a way to cheat and use resistors to create a pot like that or some other method?

I could try to modify the op amp circuit to fit 100k. It's a basic op amp circuit with the two resistors working together to increase gain. (See TS-9) ;)

armdnrdy

Why don't you punch in dual concentric 500K pot into google
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

MrBinns

you can change out the wafer. It's a pain in the butt though.

If you want to spend the $10 and tear stuff apart this will help: http://imgur.com/gallery/i0UNI

acehobojoe

Haha oh boy. Looks like I'll be tearing them apart.

Yea, I've done some googling, this part is basically obsolete.

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

acehobojoe

I might buy all those. I hope he has more than 46 of them

PRR

If it is op-amp, re-scale all the gain-set resistors to suit the pot you can get.

I always found dual (not ganged) concentric to be a real pain to fine-set. 90% of the time I'd rather spend more panel-space and have two knobs.
  • SUPPORTER

mth5044

Quote from: PRR on June 05, 2015, 09:30:39 PM
I always found dual (not ganged) concentric to be a real pain to fine-set. 90% of the time I'd rather spend more panel-space and have two knobs.

This.

Although Midwayfair's tap Cardinal looks like fun.

acehobojoe

Interesting PRR. I'll have to get one and test it. They must get stuck together?

Luke51411

Quote from: acehobojoe on June 05, 2015, 11:59:48 AM
I might buy all those. I hope he has more than 46 of them
I'll be eagerly awaiting the build report on an effect that takes 47 500k concentric pots  :icon_eek:

acehobojoe

I was actually going to try my first "run" of larger quantities. I hope it goes well. I talked to some distributors  :icon_rolleyes:

MrBinns

If you need 47 of them don't tear them apart to modify them that would take way to long. I'd see if you can scale you pots differently like PRR said.