Super Hard On not working!

Started by jonnygreentrees, June 08, 2015, 02:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

induction

Quote from: Les Paul Lover on June 10, 2015, 06:11:25 PM
Also, your pot connection isn't right. If you download the schematic from the page I link to (that's the clone I built), you'll see the pot is in the circuit. Not just from the circuit and to ground, but is there to decide how much of the signal should be amplified by the transistor.

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Boner_Boost/p847124_6343638.aspx

I think you should look at that schematic again. The pot definitely goes from the mosfet source to ground.

The only difference between the OP's circuit and the one you linked to is the placement of the protection diode and the inclusion of a power filter cap.

bool

I'm a little surprised that after all good advice here you still can't get it on.

If anything else fails, perhaps try one of "those pills" if you catch my drift, and perhaps try a ring or some other, err ... specialized apparatus ... for success.

Les Paul Lover

Quote from: induction on June 11, 2015, 03:12:33 AM
Quote from: Les Paul Lover on June 10, 2015, 06:11:25 PM
Also, your pot connection isn't right. If you download the schematic from the page I link to (that's the clone I built), you'll see the pot is in the circuit. Not just from the circuit and to ground, but is there to decide how much of the signal should be amplified by the transistor.

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Boner_Boost/p847124_6343638.aspx

I think you should look at that schematic again. The pot definitely goes from the mosfet source to ground.

The only difference between the OP's circuit and the one you linked to is the placement of the protection diode and the inclusion of a power filter cap.

That leaves me confused.

I can see the lug 1 of the pot is connected directly to ground..... Lug 2 is directing a variable amount to ground..... But lug 3 is direct to transistor? And isn't the signal to lug 1 coming from  R2/R4?

peterg

The pot's lug 2 is going to ground. Lug 1 going to ground is afail sake in case the wiper fails. Look up R G Keen's Secret Life of Pots article for all you need to know about pots. R2 and R4 also go to ground. They are not feeding the pot. Some schematics will show one ground symbol and numerous components tied to it. The earlier pedal parts boner scheme shows a ground symbol for each component.

Les Paul Lover

Quote from: peterg on June 14, 2015, 08:03:29 AM
The pot's lug 2 is going to ground. Lug 1 going to ground is afail sake in case the wiper fails. Look up R G Keen's Secret Life of Pots article for all you need to know about pots. R2 and R4 also go to ground. They are not feeding the pot. Some schematics will show one ground symbol and numerous components tied to it. The earlier pedal parts boner scheme shows a ground symbol for each component.

Thank you, that was a very interesting read.

Nice to see the mechanical workings of a pot - I'm relieved there isn't a leprechaun encased in each pot as some say.

My failure here is more in understanding the actual schematic. Even a simple one like that one. And perhaps which way around that pot works too..... So turned fully counter-clockwise,  it bleeds everything to ground? From lug 3 to lug 1?

And I'm not even pretending to understand how the transistor works either......

induction

Quote from: Les Paul Lover on June 15, 2015, 04:58:44 AM
My failure here is more in understanding the actual schematic. Even a simple one like that one. And perhaps which way around that pot works too..... So turned fully counter-clockwise,  it bleeds everything to ground? From lug 3 to lug 1?

The SHO is a variation on the common source amplifier. It's voltage gain is roughly proportional to the drain resistor divided by the source resistor. The gain pot decreases the source resistance (forget about lug 1, we are talking about the resistance between lugs 2 and 3) as you turn it up, which therefore increases the voltage gain. (Turning the knob also changes the DC bias, which is why it crackles when you do that.)

You may be interested to read this.

jonnygreentrees

So after a giving up for a bit I've got it working perfectly!

After all that it turned out to be....a faulty battery clip!

Soldered in a new battery clip and it works perfectly!!!  :icon_mrgreen:

acehobojoe

Jdansti

Congrats! Sometimes it's the simplest thing. I once repaired a bass player's dead amp right before a gig by pushing his removable power cord plug all of the way into the socket on the back of his amp.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Hemmel

Quote from: Jdansti on July 14, 2015, 01:17:42 PM
Congrats! Sometimes it's the simplest thing. I once repaired a bass player's dead amp right before a gig by pushing his removable power cord plug all of the way into the socket on the back of his amp.

During a gig with multiple bands, the first band (mainly teenagers) had an issue with their bass amp. Sounds crackly and farty as hell. They wanted other bands to lend them their bass amp, which most refused. I stepped up and offered a new 9V battery to the bass player. He replaced the one in his active-pickups bass and then it sounded fine. ;-)
Bââââ.

MrStab

Quote from: Hemmel on July 14, 2015, 01:33:57 PM
They wanted other bands to lend them their bass amp, which most refused

that kinda attitude really annoys me. there are ways to let people use your gear AND have peace of mind:

Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

bluebunny

Quote from: MrStab on July 14, 2015, 11:21:13 PM

Nice idea, Grant.  But I find that the subsequent murder trial does rather get in the way of any future gigging or pedal building.   :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stallik

Quote from: bluebunny on July 15, 2015, 05:54:46 AM
Quote from: MrStab on July 14, 2015, 11:21:13 PM

Hmm. Easy to sympathise with the sentiment when the item is of great personal value but, depending on the attitude of the local security forces, this kind of thing can get you into some serious bother.

Some years ago, while living in the Middle East, my pride and joy was a motocross bike which, living in an apartment, I had to store at the bottom of the stairwell. For security it was chained to railings but for extra peace of mind, I ran a mains cable from my apartment, through the frame and back again. The cable ends were merely knotted under my front door but I figured a casual thief might think twice about cutting it.

Instead, the thief reported me to the police for setting a mantrap and I was charged, fined and forced to remove the cable. The bike was stolen that night. To add insult to injury, when it was recovered by the police a fortnight later (ruined) I, as the owner was forced to pay the fines for it being ridden on the road by the thief without registration.

Laws in any country do not necessarily follow common sense. Now back to the thread.......
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

duck_arse

....... Hemmel, can you lend me a 9V battery?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.