A triumph of packaging and layout

Started by Mark Hammer, June 09, 2015, 09:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garcho

QuoteI listened to a sample of one and it sounded great.

the true worth, of course.

i was nitpicking out of shock at the toggle between the foot switches, as i just repaired a few peers' pedals in the last few weeks, all with broken switches. if only round rocker switches were smaller, i'd use those instead of toggle.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

aron

Mark Hammer

Quote from: garcho on June 11, 2015, 08:30:31 PM
i was nitpicking out of shock at the toggle between the foot switches, as i just repaired a few peers' pedals in the last few weeks, all with broken switches. if only round rocker switches were smaller, i'd use those instead of toggle.

If you haven't tried the toggles with the little stubby handles, you owe it to yourself to do so.  Small Bear sells them, although I imagine others do too.  They're actualy pretty low profile and don't stick up much farther than many of the LED bezels do.  And in the case of the Wombtone, the proximity of the two footswitches provides some protection against accidental foot-crushing of the toggle.

chaseblissaudio

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 09, 2015, 09:48:06 PM
The Chase Bliss Wombtone phaser has more stuff in a 1590B (or perhaps 125C), than most of us can fit into an old school EHX Memory Man box, or maybe even a rack chassis.  Can you believe how many features are in that sucker? (note the 16 dipswitches on the underside)  I count 10 optoisolators, and even using what appears to be entirely thru-hole parts, you will note there is still room for a battery!  My guess is that the design was a whole lot easier than the layout.

Now don't you folks who need an entire 1590BB for a Fuzz Face feel downright embarassed?   :icon_redface:

I'm really happy to have seen this today - it's a bit surreal for me actually.  Mark, we've never met or communicated but I feel like I know you.  I'm absolutely obsessed with BBD circuits, so naturally I've read your many posts on the subject and have learned a great deal from you.   Thank you so much. 
Joel Korte
Owner // Chase Bliss Audio
www.chaseblissaudio.com

Granny Gremlin

Old thread, but when I was looking for a new phasor I came accross this.  I chose the Earthquaker Grand Orbiter v2 over it for many of the reasons mentioned.
my (mostly) audio/DIY blog: http://grannygremlinaudio.tumblr.com/

hymenoptera

Quote from: chaseblissaudio on October 07, 2015, 03:36:30 PMI'm really happy to have seen this today - it's a bit surreal for me actually.  Mark, we've never met or communicated but I feel like I know you.  I'm absolutely obsessed with BBD circuits, so naturally I've read your many posts on the subject and have learned a great deal from you.   Thank you so much.

Welcome to the party! Those are some nice looking pedals you've got there.  :)
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

Mark Hammer

Quote from: chaseblissaudio on October 07, 2015, 03:36:30 PM
I'm really happy to have seen this today - it's a bit surreal for me actually.  Mark, we've never met or communicated but I feel like I know you.  I'm absolutely obsessed with BBD circuits, so naturally I've read your many posts on the subject and have learned a great deal from you.   Thank you so much.
It's me who's humbled here.  I just blather on about stuff, and once every thousand posts or so I say something clever - monkeys and typewriters and all that.  You, on the other hand, are actually DOING it, and doing it rather well (the world requires no more TS clones or fuzzes).  So, I tip my hat.  Thanks right back at you.

To feed your obsession, I'll direct your attention to this, which was drawn to my own attention yesterday (so I haven't gotten around to reading it in detail) by another member who happens to live nearby:  http://electricdruid.net/investigations-into-what-a-bbd-chorus-unit-really-does/

Enjoy!

tubegeek

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 09, 2015, 09:48:06 PM
Now don't you folks who need an entire 1590BB for a Fuzz Face feel downright embarassed?   :icon_redface:

Next time you're smuggling the band's pills across the Canada-US border you'll thank me for that big hollow space in the Fuzz Face, Mark.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Mark Hammer

"It's not a fuzzbox, sir, it's a maraca.  We're a Bo Diddly cover band.  You know, 'Roadrunner", 'Leave it to Lerome', 'Who Do You Love'".   :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

You a silly boy Jeremy!

(EDIT: The tune was actually called "Bring it to Jerome". )

tubegeek

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 07, 2015, 10:56:58 PM
"It's not a fuzzbox, sir, it's a maraca.  We're a Bo Diddly cover band.  You know, 'Roadrunner", 'Leave it to Lerome', 'Who Do You Love'".   :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
Um, you forgot one:

Quote from: Mark Hammer
You a silly boy Jeremy!

Moi?

chaseblissaudio

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 07, 2015, 07:16:11 PM

To feed your obsession, I'll direct your attention to this, which was drawn to my own attention yesterday (so I haven't gotten around to reading it in detail) by another member who happens to live nearby:  http://electricdruid.net/investigations-into-what-a-bbd-chorus-unit-really-does/

Enjoy!

WOW.  this is so cool. 

I'd really love to send you my through-zero flanger when it's released in the next few months here.  I think you'd get a kick out of it.  Lots of challenges to overcome, of course.  The biggest was eliminating heterodyning with 3 high frequency clocking sources (PIC's PWM and 2 independent BBD lines), I considering giving up a few times.   I'd always get excited when I'd see "Mark Hammer" weighed in on some topic I was trying to solve.   Now that it's done though I'm pretty proud of it and I think it's my best pedal. 

shoot me an email at joel@chaseblissaudio.com if you'd like, I'd really love to send you one.  I'm just starting to build them this month. 

I'm going to try to hang out here a bit, maybe I can be of some help.  I still consider myself a hack though. 
Joel Korte
www.chaseblissaudio.com

chaseblissaudio

Quote from: hymenoptera on October 07, 2015, 07:10:37 PM

Welcome to the party! Those are some nice looking pedals you've got there.  :)

Thx!
Joel Korte
www.chaseblissaudio.com

Perrow

Quote from: vigilante397 on June 11, 2015, 05:58:26 PM
I throw a little party inside my head every time I get a Rebote 2.5 into a 1590B

Feel free to use my layout, it fits nicely into a 1590B. No battery though.

Quote from: chaseblissaudio on October 08, 2015, 10:35:57 AM
I'm going to try to hang out here a bit, maybe I can be of some help.  I still consider myself a hack though. 

You're more than welcome to hang out with us, few people here are more than hacks and those who are generally don't admit it (but we know who they are).
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

tubegeek

Quote from: Perrow on October 08, 2015, 03:17:09 PMfew people here are more than hacks and those who are generally don't admit it

I don't think this forum had a motto before today, but now I think it does.

hymenoptera

I haven't got a clue what I'm doing, but I'm having a blast doing it.  :icon_mrgreen:
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

deadastronaut

Me too....totally clueless,  but enjoy my little bits of audio terrorism.. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

hymenoptera

Quote from: deadastronaut on October 09, 2015, 06:12:46 AM
Me too....totally clueless,  but enjoy my little bits of audio terrorism.. 8)

How would you even know if your terror was a success?

In space you can't hear us scream.  :-X

StephenGiles

Quote from: midwayfair on June 10, 2015, 11:13:56 AM
Stacked PCBs, 1/8W resistors, mini electrolytics, and MLCCs. The small parts are all pretty standard stuff for 1590As, so considering what we've managed to cram in there (flangers! klones! Pickdropper's tremolo + chorus! GrindCustoms' three-in-one 1590A!), expanding it to a 125B becomes more impressive.

His addition of dip switches on the front of the case was very cool, though, I can't think of anyone else who did something like that.

I did dip switches on the top of a rackmount Yamaha E1010 echo I built around mid 1980s!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

And of course the original Sans Amp used a dipswitch, mounted to be accessible from the top/front.  It's such a good idea.  So why don't more folks use them?  If I'm not mistaken, you can get DPST dipswitches, in case you have to change two components at once.  Although I suppose in some instances, a person could use a single-pole switch to actuate as many switching FETs as they wanted/needed to accomplish some audible change.

plexi12000