Shielding a breadboard?

Started by MrBinns, June 11, 2015, 02:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBinns

Are there any ways besides sticking everything in a grounded metal box?

graemestrat

Hi,

One trick I do often is place the breadboard on top of a sheet of aluminum and ground it to your circuit ground.
it is probably not perfect but it does reduce the noise a lot, especially with high gain circuits.

Cheers

antonis

It's better to wrap the board with a bigger aluminum foil, taking care of undesirable short circuits..
(which also is a good precaution for static discharge sensitive devices during populating the board..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

LightSoundGeometry

I am inspired to build another tube amp turret style pedal now lol

MrBinns

>turret style

o wow that's cool

http://www.versoul.com/images/amp/amp_oheiskomp.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the aluminium foil.

Jarno

Not breadboard, but a colleague of mine is going to have a run of perf board made, with a groundplane. Apparently pretty expensive to buy from places like RS and Mouser.
You keep the ground plane on top to prevent shorts :-)

LightSoundGeometry

I been working on one for a while now

Cozybuilder

I have to ask-
Is your Super Hard On working?
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

amptramp

Put the breadboard inside a microwave oven and close the door.  You can usually get a microwave oven at a garage sale for $10 so there is no reason to try more expensive and temporary items such as aluminum foil.  The shielding is good for microwave frequencies but may leave something to be desired at lower frequencies.  DO NOT PLUG THE MICOWAVE OVEN IN AND TURN IT ON.  It gets too entertaining that way.

GibsonGM

^^^   NO! That won't work - it's too high tech.  Since we're working below 20kHz, it won't be able to recognize what we're doing.

Put the breadboard in a metal BREAD BOX.  After all, THAT IS WHAT IT IS FOR.  Ground the box.  You are now shielded.  Add in/out jacks and a bypass switch, and make it a regular thing.

I'm not sure if a metal MILK BOX will work - I think I read on another forum that it caused some kind of issues...time to go hook up a new SHO on mine...  :)

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: Cozybuilder on June 12, 2015, 05:42:37 AM
I have to ask-
Is your Super Hard On working?

the biological one yes, the mechanical one not so much lol

it may of just needed shielded - open turret + gain pedals not good lots of noise :)

antonis

Quote from: amptramp on June 12, 2015, 10:04:13 AM
DO NOT PLUG THE MICOWAVE OVEN IN AND TURN IT ON.

:'( :-\ :'(

Not even if there are some BIG electrolytic caps on the board..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..