J201 Distortion fuzzy at low end. Is it a common problem?

Started by nguitar12, June 11, 2015, 11:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nguitar12

OK so I built different J201 Distortion circuit these day. They produce a very bright and "stack" sounding which is what I want but I find that all of them have a "fuzzy" low end. I don't know how to describe the sound it just like the drain pot is not well trimed. Just wonder if it is a common problem for all J201 Distortion?

Will 2n5457 / MPF102 do much better?

LightSoundGeometry

I have a tillman pe amp installed inside of my startocaster cavity ,its very bright and does clobber/splat the low end when the gain switch is engaged

so now I have a pre amp inside my guitar the handmade sho I made..i really dont need both and the j201 tillman might be too bright for me .. its making my octave act goofy now because my octave needs to be numero uno 1st in chain to have the sound I want out of it

I might have to pull the pre amp out of the guitar and return it back to normal

nguitar12

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on June 12, 2015, 12:17:34 AM
I have a tillman pe amp installed inside of my startocaster cavity ,its very bright and does clobber/splat the low end when the gain switch is engaged

so now I have a pre amp inside my guitar the handmade sho I made..i really dont need both and the j201 tillman might be too bright for me .. its making my octave act goofy now because my octave needs to be numero uno 1st in chain to have the sound I want out of it

So theoretically will 2n5457 / MPF 102 do better in this case?

Kipper4

I guess it would depend on the circuit. It's more likely to be a feature of the circuit than the fet itself. imo
Which circuit are we talking about?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: nguitar12 on June 12, 2015, 07:06:55 AM
Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on June 12, 2015, 12:17:34 AM

So theoretically will 2n5457 / MPF 102 do better in this case?

not sure, but I think its teh circuit itself - the pass filter not the FET itself

I am starting to think its the vox amp which are known to be chimey & bell like ..I may need a darker amp to go along with my strat ..I am a strat guy and only play one guitar..yeop, I am one of those guys lol..but only because I am too poor to own more than one guitar. I am still trying to save up for a decent amplifier..I started making my own pedals because I cant afford to buy too many. looking for a delay vibe right now though and maybe a joyo phaser to as i have around 300 bucks to spend at the moment

come to think of it, I tried a 2n5457  & a 2n5458 whilst waiting for the j201s to arrive in mail, they will not work in this circuit for some reason.

* edit

put a quartet of unmatched random mullard tubes in the power and pre amp and my guitar sings like a bird ..the tillman gain switch now stays engaged :) :)  holy cow ..I would swear the tillman j201 is the beano boost in my guitar - it makes the strings feel alive in and is loud in the same way. now the treble/chime is very smooth sounding :)

I paid a lot of cash for these mullards, I think around 20 bucks a piece and they seem to me well worth every penny

Ice-9

You have not provided a schematic for anyone to interoperate, A J201 can be as clean as you want or as dirty as you want even in the same circuit.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.