27134PSLA Eddystone VS 1590B

Started by steveyraff, June 12, 2015, 06:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

Hey guys,

I've been waiting for ages for my usual supply shops to re-stock on 1590B's, when I just spotted the 27134PSLA Eddystone enclosure. I've done a search of the board here, and found a lot of posts citing them. I find it odd that I've never came across these before!

From what I can see, they are 111X60X30MM while the 1590B's are 111.5X59.5X31MM. Even for a tight squeeze, I can't see me noticing the 1mm or .5mm shorter dimensions.

How come they are always so much cheaper on any site that I see? Is there any form of quality difference? I'm wondering if my waterslide decal graphics will still fit on them - I'd say they probably will. Might just order one and see for myself. Seems a bargain though.

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

samhay

You used to be able to get the Eddystone enclosures in Maplin some years ago - I guess they are / were the European eqivalent to Hammond, although I think Eddystone may have since been bought by Hammond.
They are a little more square than the Hammond enclosures, but essentially the same size. I think deadastronaut uses them as they are easier / softer to sand.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

steveyraff

Quote from: samhay on June 12, 2015, 07:22:33 AM
You used to be able to get the Eddystone enclosures in Maplin some years ago - I guess they are / were the European eqivalent to Hammond, although I think Eddystone may have since been bought by Hammond.
They are a little more square than the Hammond enclosures, but essentially the same size. I think deadastronaut uses them as they are easier / softer to sand.

Well that all sounds good to me! I'll try one out. And yea, from what I see you are correct in saying Hammond now seem to own them.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

slacker

I've used them a few times, like you said the size difference between them and the equivalent 15xx isn't noticable. The corners are a tighter radius than 15xx which might matter if your decal goes into the corners.
The quality of the finish isn't as good, they often have flashing around the lip of the box and lid and the screw holes sometimes need a bit of fettling.  The screws aren't stainless or whatever the 15xx ones are if that bothers you.

steveyraff

Quote from: slacker on June 12, 2015, 07:31:07 AM
I've used them a few times, like you said the size difference between them and the equivalent 15xx isn't noticable. The corners are a tighter radius than 15xx which might matter if your decal goes into the corners.
The quality of the finish isn't as good, they often have flashing around the lip of the box and lid and the screw holes sometimes need a bit of fettling.  The screws aren't stainless or whatever the 15xx ones are if that bothers you.

Hmm, yea - my decal graphics usually all have a border going around the edges with rounded corners. Would probably have to sharpen them into the corners. I'll buy one and check out the build quality. I've bought a few 1590B copies that were pretty poor quality, but after sanding, buffing and spray painting, they've always smoothed out just fine.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

disto

samhay is spot on, they are made in Portugal I believe. I always used them because they were cheaper and easier to get hold of. Recently I bought some hammond 1590B and they a very similar, as samhay said the corners are more square than the 1590B. I still like the eddystone enclosures though.

I did notice that a recent 27134PSLA I was leaving unfinished had some burr left from the casting so I think they are less rigourous with the eddystones and finishing. You could easily sand this down though.

davent

As mentioned and as far as i know Hammond did buy up Eddystone. I bought a Hammond 1590J which turned out to be a relabeled Eddystone box. Working it and quality were no different from the Hammond 1590's i've always used.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

steveyraff

I've one of the Eddystones ordered now. Keen to see if I notice much difference as I can see myself just using them instead from now on. Theres about £3 difference in most places!

I actually wouldn't mind trying a few different styles in general. Sometimes I feel like I could be doing with a little more depth... I think the 125B is deeper?
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Ice-9

I use the eddystone quite a bit, the latest batches I have had of appx over the last 6 months have had quite of casting flash on them which needs sanding. (previous orders have been good and will have came from a different mould).

The outside corners are little more squared, My pcb's have footswitch, jacks and pots mounted and the boards fit perfectly in both the Hammond and Eddystone enclosures.

Eddystone a European owned Hammond company.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

steveyraff

Personally, I always sand and buff my enclosures anyway - just to make sure the primer layer takes properly. So sanding isn't really a big deal for me - I'd have been doing it anyway.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk