Printing Advice Needed.

Started by brokenstarguitar, June 13, 2015, 09:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokenstarguitar

Ok guys, I'm venturing a little further in the game and want to start doing board etching. I have everything I need to get the job done with one exception, the printer. I've been looking all over and found A LOT of different types and it all seems crazy.

I need a color laser printer that also scans. (I need color for the enclosure graphics I already do) I'm just wondering what your printer of choice is and what you would recommend.

I apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this but also appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

CodeMonk

For strictly etching PCB's, I got one of these on the advice from another member here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BDMP8M/

Sorry I don't know about color laser printers, but I am quite happy with this one so maybe a color laser from the same manufacturer?

karbomusic

Color laser printers don't have the density that black and white ones do. Although I have done fine with my color laser printer (PnP for example), the toner is still denser using black and white. Especially noticeable when using transparencies for photo exposed boards. You can make custom changes to the CMYK colors (and **printer default density) to make it denser that normal but still not as dense as a pure black and white printer.

** Many printers have a custom settings application to change printer defaults in the printer itself. HP's is usually a web page if the printer is network enabled, otherwise usually a separate configuration app other than the driver. This can be used to turn off any toner savings settings and set all the densities to their highest.

Beo

My advice: monitor slickdeals.net until the printers you want come up. Buy two.

A samsung black and white laser printer (I got the M2820DW), and only use it to print pcb and enclosure etch masks. You want original Samsung OEM toner, and off-brand replacements don't work as well. Don't print anything else, so you save your toner for your projects.

Also buy a Canon Inkjet printer (I got the MX890). It will scan (most reliable with usb connection) and do color waterslides. Off-brand replacement ink cartridges are great and very cheap. Awesome if you print photos or do color printing for kid's homework.  (PGI 225 BK, CLI 226 BK, C, M, Y, G Cartridges can be had for a set for 4-5$ at meritline.com)

If you need a B&W wireless family printer.. buy a brother, but don't use it for pedals.

armdnrdy

A few months back, I found a page (can't find the page) on this very subject...best printers for toner transfer DIY PCBs.

The author of the article went through several different brands, rated them, and explained the pros and cons for each.

He ended up recommending the HP2300 series. He referred to this model as a "work horse."

The article stated that this model can be purchased used/reconditioned for a reasonable price.

I took the advise and purchased a reconditioned, low page count, HP 2300 from an eBay seller for $65.00.

My toner transfer come out perfect every time! Much more consistent than my previous printer.

Many of the boards that I design involve fairly dense trace routing of varying size. (12mil to 50mil)

Since I have been using the 2300, I have not had any of the toner print lift off of the copper board.

For the price...and the consistency....the HP comes highly recommended.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

karbomusic

Quote from: armdnrdy on June 14, 2015, 02:02:28 AM
A few months back, I found a page (can't find the page) on this very subject...best printers for toner transfer DIY PCBs.

Possibly the fab in a box guy...

http://pcbfx.com/main_site/pages/start_here/printer_info.html

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

brokenstarguitar

I got a pretty badass hp inkjet right now that I do the decals/scan with. I just didn't want to have 2 printers if I could help it but I guess from what I'm gathering, it's best to have a black and white printer just for pcbs. Thanks guys.

armdnrdy

Quote from: brokenstarguitar on June 14, 2015, 09:26:23 PM
it's best to have a black and white printer just for pcbs.

Black & White Laser Printer

karbomusic

QuoteI just didn't want to have 2 printers

Honestly, I'd give it a go with the color laser printer one you have. I did plenty of PCBs with my color laser before going to B&W. Just crank all density and quality settings as high as they will go.

armdnrdy

Quote from: karbomusic on June 14, 2015, 10:42:09 PM
Honestly, I'd give it a go with the color laser printer one you have.

I think he wrote that he has a color ink jet printer.

brokenstarguitar

Yea, I have a color INKJET but going to look into the HP2300. I see them on the bay for like $100.