The Sidescroller Fuzz - Insane 8-bit sounding fuzz

Started by Freppo, June 16, 2015, 08:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freppo

Hi Folks

Here is a new thingy I have designed. I will let the demo video speak for itself. :)

It uses two CD4069 only. More info, PCB, vero layout and schematic:
www.parasitstudio.se

I hope you like it :)
Cheers / Freppo
Check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

peterg

Freppo. Awesome pedal! I could only find the vero layout on your site. Do you have the schematic and PCB files?

~arph

Sounds great! I was looking for an effect to play the imperial march with, looks like this will get a try  :icon_mrgreen:

Freppo

Quote from: peterg on June 16, 2015, 09:11:36 AM
Freppo. Awesome pedal! I could only find the vero layout on your site. Do you have the schematic and PCB files?

Thanks :) I forgot to mention that the schematic is found in the build document here.
I have no single layer PCB layout to share yet. If someone want to submit one I'd be glad. :)

Quote from: ~arph on June 16, 2015, 09:45:04 AM
Sounds great! I was looking for an effect to play the imperial march with, looks like this will get a try  :icon_mrgreen:
;D

Kipper4

Sound great for those Weezer sounds.
Thanks Fredrik
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

lars-musik

Great. Sounds - well - great!

Have you tried it on bass (or is one of the intruments in the video even a bass)? This might be a great toy for some of my bassist friends.

blackieNYC

You are devastating my 4049/4069 supply of late.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

Nocaster Cat

Noisemakers are generally not my thing but I'm totally diggin' this and the Flash Filter Fuzz. Good stuff!  :icon_mrgreen:

Freppo

Quote from: lars-musik on June 16, 2015, 01:40:16 PM
Have you tried it on bass (or is one of the intruments in the video even a bass)? This might be a great toy for some of my bassist friends.

I tried it on bass today and it works great. It sounds very doomy :)

FUZZZZzzzz

It's almost impossible to keep up with your stuff  :o. I still need to populate one of of your pcbs (bitcrusher) I received some time ago. Awesome as always! Please try and disappoint me at least once in the future, so I can verify you're not just a Swedish spambot, programmed to make most of us look bad. ;)

BTW. Are those bearded collies on your instagram?
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

tommycataus

"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

Freppo

Glad you like it :)

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on June 19, 2015, 05:49:02 AM
Please try and disappoint me at least once in the future, so I can verify you're not just a Swedish spambot, programmed to make most of us look bad. ;)
:icon_mrgreen:

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on June 19, 2015, 05:49:02 AM
BTW. Are those bearded collies on your instagram?
Yes, they are my bearded collies, Wookie and Joplin. :)

sirgwaine

hello,sorry for this stupid question,i'm newbie.what are the red dots on the vero?

bluesdevil

Quote from: sirgwaine on June 29, 2015, 04:03:40 PM
hello,sorry for this stupid question,i'm newbie.what are the red dots on the vero?

Those are cuts.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Juppstein

After successfully building the Arcadiator I now tried this one on vero.

So far it sounds good using fiddling around with the three knobs, but the LFO and PWM switches do nothing for me on a Strat; on a Paula at I can hear some faint LFO oscillation but I think it is much too fast. Sidescroller LFO on the lowest settings is about half way up on the LFO for the Arcadiator. Strange stuff.

Freppo

Hi Juppstein. Thank for the build report. I'm glad you have found an interest for my stuff. :)

I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you may have a problem with your vero build though.  :-\
You should check the values of the components around the LFO section and the diode orientations.

The LFO pulse width modulation should be quite prominant, not too fast and with a clear difference between PWM and Octave up. I have built a verified the vero myself and I also got this build report from Anders (he built the vero aswell)
"Really flexible little thing, does great octave up, Pulse Width and octave down that tracks really well. Great LFO section as well; quite choppy in octave up mode, a bit softer in pulse width mode, with the octave down mode blended in, you're in 8-Bit land. I actally prefers this one over the Arcadiator, it's less noisy and has less controls(and that's a good thing IMHO)"

One thing to note is that the modulation does only affect the PWM side (the blend turned CCW). I should also mention that the usual caveats apply to this circuit. As with any octave based circuits I recommend using a guitar with hot pickups (the sustain and octave will suffer with low output pickups) and using the neck pickup with the tone rolled off on your guitar. That will improve tracking of the octaves significantly.

I hope that makes sense :)
Cheers / Freppo

therizky

forsakenrider

GiovannyS10

Awesome!  ;D
I liked so much, will make it hereafter, okay?

Congratulations, this is incredible!
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

Freppo

Thanks! Glad you like it :)
PCB's are being shipped out later today

cheers
/ Freppo