Too much gain out of this FET preamp, how do I reduce?

Started by exabrial, June 19, 2015, 02:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exabrial

This thing sounds pretty good! Except even with the gain pot turned all the way down, it's producing very hot audio. How do I modify the circuit to produce less gain? I was thinking I need to reduce the value of r7, but since this is a SMT circuit, I was wondering if I could add a resistor that bridges the output to save soldering... thoughts?

http://www.cafewalter.com/cafewalter/fetpre/graphics/pzp1-sch.pdf

PBE6

I assume that R9 on the output is being used as a tapering resistor, so it should probably stay in place. Try bypassing R7 with a jumper. When the pot is fully counterclockwise the output will be grounded, and when it's fully clockwise the output will be 100k/104.7k = 96% of the total gain stage output.

snap

the question is: you want less gain from the circuit, or less volume?

Keppy

Quote from: PBE6 on June 19, 2015, 02:28:46 PM
I assume that R9 on the output is being used as a tapering resistor, so it should probably stay in place. Try bypassing R7 with a jumper. When the pot is fully counterclockwise the output will be grounded, and when it's fully clockwise the output will be 100k/104.7k = 96% of the total gain stage output.

This is probably the simplest thing to do, though R7 affects the taper as well. The control wasn't meant for a large range of volume, barely 10dB if my math is good. The schematic calls it a buffer, and it appears to be a follower, which wouldn't have significant voltage gain, though I'm not sure of the effect of the lower JFET. I'm surprised there's a problem with too much gain.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

exabrial

Haha, I suppose I mean less Volume on the output. And yes, circuit is a buffer/follower, technically not a preamp.

I was quite surprised how hot the audio come off of it is too.

exabrial

I'll try the "short r7" method and see how it does. Thanks!

PRR

It doesn't have any voltage gain.

_I_ say rip-off R9, short R7. Gain will run smoothly from 0.95 to zero (no output). If you really want low gain, like 0.1, then make R8 an Audio taper.

> not sure of the effect of the lower JFET

Just a fancy replacement for a source resistor.
  • SUPPORTER

exabrial

Hey guys, thanks for the awesome advice. Shorting R7 worked perfectly. I can now set the pot about 30-40% and the guitar isn't overloading the downstream electronics.

Victory :D