Transformer question

Started by guidoilieff, June 20, 2015, 07:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guidoilieff

I'm still trying to build a Craig Anderton tremolo without a MAX1044. I bought a positive and negative voltage regulator and was wondering if my transformer is the right one for this.

this is the webpage http://www.pronext.com.ar/transformador-220vac-a-12-12vac-300ma-tr-12-12v300-214

The question is, is it a bipolar power supply? I know it says 12-0-12 but how do I check with a multimeter for the positive and negative terminals? Thanks

R.G.

Quote from: guidoilieff on June 20, 2015, 07:40:01 PM
I'm still trying to build a Craig Anderton tremolo without a MAX1044. I bought a positive and negative voltage regulator and was wondering if my transformer is the right one for this.
The question is, is it a bipolar power supply? I know it says 12-0-12 but how do I check with a multimeter for the positive and negative terminals? Thanks
I say this with all respect - please don't mess with AC powered stuff until you know more. You could easily electrocute yourself.

I say that because of my estimation of your knowledge and skills level from your question. Transformers do not produce DC at all. The output of that transformer is 12V **AC** on both sides of a center tap. There is no negative or positive to find with a meter. There is only two inverted versions of 12Vac.

This tells me you do not understand transformers, and that makes me think you do not have enough training and skill to work with AC mains voltage. I am concerned that you could electrocute yourself.

If I have not understood your question, or there is more to the question than I saw, I apologize, and tell me more about it. But I am worried about your safety.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

UKToecutter

I agree with RG.
Don't play about if you don't understand.

Get yourself a 12-15V AC adaptor and build a regulator circuit.

Something like this:

The blue line in the middle is ground.
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

greaser_au

+1...    The 16VAC/1A adapters intended for the security industry are excellent  *and cheap*;  ideal for UKToeCutter's sample circuit.

All good wallwarts are also CE (or UL)  approved, and the mains side is all done and sealed, which will likely be one less set of questions to answer if anything goes wrong...

david

GibsonGM

That's a great start, Guido - it shows curiosity and innovation. You are looking for a way to solve a problem. 

But like they said, for now - please get a more safe power supply that doesn't expose you to the mains voltage.  I think we all needed to be pulled back a little bit at first, so nothing personal...take it one step at a time, ask questions, and you will learn all about this in no time!   :)   Happy building!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

guidoilieff

I made it like this
but with 470uf caps and 7909 and 7809 reg.

or do I have to make it like this?: 

pd: I'm not dead, I know the hazards. Thanks for worrying.

UKToecutter

How you made it is fine.
The way I showed you allows you to use an AC 'wall-wart' thereby making it a 'less risky' proposition.
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards