Anyone make PCB's ?

Started by plexi12000, June 24, 2015, 12:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

i know there's a LOT of super skilled and talented ppl on our forum here...just figured i'd ask.

anyone set up to make pcb's?  I'd like to try an obsidian distortion...maybe one or two others that i dont believe anyone makes.

thank you-

midwayfair

"make" = etch, layout, or fabricate?
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

MrBinns

eagle/kicad and a company like oshpark

Kipper4

All my stuff is pad per hole perf so no etching.
But if you want my DIYLC layout for the BS250 version of the obsidian (positive ground circuit) your more than welcome.
I'm having a few issues as yet though.
Up to you just PM me
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

midwayfair

Quote from: MrBinns on June 24, 2015, 06:32:36 PM
eagle/kicad and a company like oshpark

I do Eagle layouts sometimes. I can PM you a rate, but it's not likely to be cost effective for a one-of. You'd be btteroff finding an etch layout and hiring someone to etch you a board. If you're looking to do a production run it's probably a good idea to contact the designer first because he might have a license fee, and I won't make a PCB without his approval, though I'm sure you can find someone less scrupulous if you want to skip that step.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

lars-musik

In order to help you with your request, I second Jon's question

Quote from: midwayfair on June 24, 2015, 12:56:41 PM
"make" = etch, layout, or fabricate?

If you just need a PCB layout I incidentally made one last week. It is not super pretty and it is not verified but it has been created with the best intentions... It should fit in a 1590a, maybe the supposed onboard pots will need a re-orientation (I am always unsure which way round to place them).

It is the PNP version with a voltage inverter, so the standard psus will fit. Give it a try if you wish.

The schematic (sans voltage inverter) is here and looks simple enough that I hope, I haven't made any mistakes.

Pdf with layout and bill of materials:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1bspz1sm1yff2o/OBSIDIAN.pdf?dl=0

bvanesch

I guess it´s a matter of wether you´re thinking of doing more pcb´s in the future; although the materials are no major investment, for just one board it may be cheaper to let someone do it for you. The learning to etch them myself was what attracted me in the first place and have made the boards for a mutron biphase. Don´t expect perfection right away, do some serious experimenting and you´re gonna get good results.

bloxstompboxes

I find that drawing up the layouts is sometimes almost as fun as placing the parts and soldering them in. I am out of state with the new family addition in the hospital or I would offer my services. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

plexi12000

yeah....i'm not really sure what to do.  my skills are non-existant! hahha   never made a pcb before.  i was hoping someone out there could make one for me.

where's a good place to learn how to make a pcb? anything good on you tube?  Thank you!

vigilante397

I mill PCBs on my CNC machine, but unless there's a layout with more friendly (with more 45 degree angles) layout than the one lars-musik posted I don't think I could do it. Obviously the machine can handle it, but the PCB layout software can't :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Beo

Quote from: plexi12000 on June 27, 2015, 04:39:23 AM
yeah....i'm not really sure what to do.  my skills are non-existant! hahha   never made a pcb before.  i was hoping someone out there could make one for me.

where's a good place to learn how to make a pcb? anything good on you tube?  Thank you!

Google "PCB Toner Transfer" and you'll get lots of hits, including youtube vids. Four main issues that can make this a challenge:
1. What kind of printer and transfer paper you use to print your laser printer layout
2. Cleaning pcb and ironing the toner transfer
3. Messy and dangerous chemicals to etch
4. Right size drill bits to drill holes, and not breaking them

If you think you'll get into this hobby and build more than a few pedals, I highly recommend giving it a try. Here's my advice for the challenges above:
1. Glossy thin magazine paper works best for me. I use the paper from Restoration Hardware magazines. Brother printer laser toner doesn't work. I use Samsung with OEM toner (I don't print anything else on this printer to reserve the toner for PCBs and Enclosure etching).
2. Cleaning is easy. Use steel wool and acetone. For PCBs, don't use an iron, use any cheap laminator that supports 3mm and 5mm. Send the pcb with transfer taped on through the laminator at least 10 times.
3. FeCl works great, but is toxic and stains. Gloves and plastic containers are mandatory. I use as little chemical as possible and keep brushing the board with a foam brush. I discard old FeCl by soaking it up with paper towel, bagging and throwing in the garbage. Do not pour down the drain. Lately I've used NaCl and I like it... can go down the drain.
4. The combo drill bit packs has sizes you don't need. Better to buy multiples of the sizes you need. There are websites that offer re-sharpened bits. I have a drill press, but I still drill by hand, using a handheld extension for my rotary tool (lighter and more controllable). I use wood blocs along the edge of the pcb to raise it off the table, brace the heel of my hand, and do a fluid up and down motion fairly quickly to pop through the holes. You're still going to break bits though.

If you don't decide to try this, there are several places to order professional boards which are great to solder (but sometimes tricky to mod). Madbeans is one of my favs.

Travis

bloxstompboxes

I am not sure which part you might be uncomfortable with, but if you want to learn how to draw a layout, a book like R.G.'s "Layouts for Musical Effects" is extremely helpful. It points out things that you might think were obvious and others not so much. It really shows you how to make a functional board that looks nice to.

Google etching pcbs and pick what sounds good to you. I use hydrogen peroxide and muriatic acid. I use the toner method with a cheap and modded laminator and hp presentation paper. Works great for me. Just try something and adjust the process until it works best for you.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

G. Hoffman

I've done toner transfer (with several different papers), optical printing (about 100 UV LEDs through laser printed transparencies onto pressurized boards, and even more chemicals than toner transfer!), and even a few hand drawn designs; one thing I can say is, I'll never make another board myself.  Places like OSH Park or iTead do a better job (through plated holes, solder mask, silkscreen, etc.), and I don't have to deal with the chemicals.  COMPLETELY worth the extra cost. 

Gabriel

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: G. Hoffman on June 28, 2015, 07:23:48 AM
I've done toner transfer (with several different papers), optical printing (about 100 UV LEDs through laser printed transparencies onto pressurized boards, and even more chemicals than toner transfer!), and even a few hand drawn designs; one thing I can say is, I'll never make another board myself.  Places like OSH Park or iTead do a better job (through plated holes, solder mask, silkscreen, etc.), and I don't have to deal with the chemicals.  COMPLETELY worth the extra cost. 

Gabriel
I too have started using board fab houses when doing large runs of a particular design. However, nothing beats printing out a toner transfer and having a board etched and drilled in about an hour or less. For a single board or a few needed in a hurry, there is no better option for me. For others, maybe something like vero.

Keep in mind that these are simple circuits and companies like Boss have done fine with single sided boards without plated through holes.

plexi12000

cool-- thank you guys!  at least that gives me a place to look around and see what its all about...and what is involved.

see, the problem i would run in to is, i understand a schemtaic, at least the simple ones, the symbols, etc., etc.  -but i can't "convert" that schematic into a "layout" for a

PCB.  Does that make sense? -lol   i get confused and i think its difficult "how" to best "place" the components.

Beo

Tonepad has lots of layouts ready to print. Many of Madbeans projects also have one sided layouts that can be printed. Searching the forum and google can pop up others.

Otherwise, introduce yourself to DIY Layout Creator (top thread in this forum) for a basic approach to layouts, and then graduate to Eagle if you get hooked. (I'm addicted to doing layouts... must be my OCD nature that loves puzzles and crosswords too).

Jdansti

It's not difficult to make a PCB. Here are a couple of video tutorials. I use the second method.

A couple of good tutorials.

Method 1-Photoresist:

Method 2-Toner Transfer:

I normally use very glossy magazine paper run through the laser printer. You don't need to do the liquid silver step at the end.

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

vigilante397

Quote from: Jdansti on June 28, 2015, 06:58:04 PM
Method 2-Toner Transfer:

I normally use very glossy magazine paper run through the laser printer. You don't need to do the liquid silver step at the end.

Watched the last couple minutes just to see the liquid silver step. Very cool 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: Beo on June 28, 2015, 04:25:54 PM
Tonepad has lots of layouts ready to print. Many of Madbeans projects also have one sided layouts that can be printed. Searching the forum and google can pop up others.

Otherwise, introduce yourself to DIY Layout Creator (top thread in this forum) for a basic approach to layouts, and then graduate to Eagle if you get hooked. (I'm addicted to doing layouts... must be my OCD nature that loves puzzles and crosswords too).
Agreed. Tonepad layouts are where I started and are tried and true. Same with diylc. I now use diptrace ans find it simpler and easier to use than eagle. To each his own though.