News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

So.....

Started by Mattyboy, June 26, 2015, 03:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattyboy

Has anyone on here attempted to build a tuner pedal?

JerS

Was curious about building one - but they are so cheap to buy now, it seems like quite a learning curve to get it done. Through my searches, I did find a link to some micro controller code for a tuner - so it has been done.

LightSoundGeometry

I recommend buying a boss tu-.1.2.3 any one of those :)

works as a tuner, buffer and mute and they are indestructible - you have to try really hard to break one lol 

karbomusic

I have a Sonic Research ST-200, I've been 100% spoiled since the moment I got it and don't think I could build anything that would remotely make me as happy.

MrBinns

Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on June 26, 2015, 03:53:08 PM

works as a tuner, buffer and mute and they are indestructible - you have to try really hard to break one lol

I just googled 'boss tu-.1.2.3'. I feel dumb.

lars-musik

Here's a DIY tuner project. PIC based and probably doable:

http://www.schickt.de/index.php?entry=entry080606-004307

By the way: a meaningful subject for the posts would be likely to attract even more helpful comments.

Cheers, Lars

LightSoundGeometry

Quote from: MrBinns on June 26, 2015, 04:27:35 PM
Quote from: LightSoundGeometry on June 26, 2015, 03:53:08 PM

I just googled 'boss tu-.1.2.3'. I feel dumb.

there may not be any difference in MK1 or Mk3 tuner - I see the old tu-1's go for under 30 bucks in auctions - not much shoe gaze butt hey work just fine 

blackieNYC

"So..."
"a meaningful subject .."

Wait, I get it!  It's the one thing we never talk about, the elephant in the pedalboard, as it were. The one thing everyone owns yet never builds, yadayada. Funny.

What did Mike Huckabee say when he found his speech audience to be a large crowd of gay newlyweds?
"So....."
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

MrStab

as someone who only dabbles in analogue, i'm kinda glad something as accurate as tuning is outta my hands. hand-picking parts to get 5-10% accuracy on EQ labels is as far as i go. i recall looking up the "Gimmick" PIC project, but reading that there were still some imperfections with it (don't quote me on that). so a Korg Pitchblack tuner for me.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

lars-musik

I agree: The only non-DIY pedal on my board is and remains the tuner. I have got the Korg DT-10 and a Korg Pitchblack.  Both are great.

duck_arse

Quote from: Mattyboy on June 26, 2015, 03:02:10 PM
Has anyone on here attempted to build a tuner pedal?

I have. long time ago, from an electronics australia project, I think. has a wheel of leds beats against a top-octave divider (?),  goes round one way for sharp, the other for flat. how fast, how far.

next to useless, really.
don't make me draw another line.

amptramp

Quote from: blackieNYC on June 26, 2015, 07:42:19 PM

"So..."
"a meaningful subject .."

Wait, I get it!  It's the one thing we never talk about, the elephant in the pedalboard, as it were. The one thing everyone owns yet never builds, yadayada. Funny.

What did Mike Huckabee say when he found his speech audience to be a large crowd of gay newlyweds?
"So....."

This is diystompboxes.  A tuner is not a stompbox nor does it need to produce an output.  So technically, since we don't need a stomp switch it isn't a stompbox.  A number of buffers and preamps are in the same category.

vigilante397

Quote from: amptramp on June 27, 2015, 01:25:51 PM
This is diystompboxes.  A tuner is not a stompbox nor does it need to produce an output.  So technically, since we don't need a stomp switch it isn't a stompbox.

My tuner has a switch, and it is enclosed in a box on which I stomp, thus a stompbox?

But seriously, the reason we don't build tuners is the same reason we don't build loop/recorders. It's absolutely doable but it isn't simple, and by the time you're done you've spent twice what you would have for a commercially available product and it's half the quality. My only non-DIY pedals are my tuner (Korg Pitchblack) and looper (TC Ditto). Looked into building both, decided very quickly neither would be worth it.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Joe

Started a project like this using a microcontroller (MSP430) but screwed the whole thing up. With some effort it's possible, but this is a combination of hardware/software I think.

vigilante397

Quote from: Joe on June 27, 2015, 04:35:24 PM
Started a project like this using a microcontroller (MSP430) but screwed the whole thing up. With some effort it's possible, but this is a combination of hardware/software I think.

I hope to live my life in such a way that I never have to touch an MSP430 again :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

karbomusic

QuoteMy tuner has a switch, and it is enclosed in a box on which I stomp, thus a stompbox?

Absolutely, so is mine but it is so darn good (real strobe using LEDs), there is no way I'd ever want to build one. It even somewhat displays harmonics like a real strobe...

Tracks the notes almost as fast as you can play them, no wait time. That's right, fanboy, that good; I want not. :)

vigilante397

Quote from: karbomusic on June 27, 2015, 05:16:49 PM
QuoteMy tuner has a switch, and it is enclosed in a box on which I stomp, thus a stompbox?

Absolutely, so is mine but it is so darn good (real strobe using LEDs), there is no way I'd ever want to build one. It even somewhat displays harmonics like a real strobe...
Tracks the notes almost as fast as you can play them, no wait time. That's right, fanboy, that good; I want not. :)

And now I want :P
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com