Glass enclosure?

Started by ASchmalex, July 02, 2015, 09:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASchmalex

I know it sounds kinda silly building a "stompbox" in a glass enclosure but has anyone done it? I am a glass blower by trade and was thinking the concept of a "circut in a bottle" would be kinda interesting. I think the footswitch would be swapped out for a toggle...looked around the shop quick and found this set of glass joints that might work....thoughts?

duck_arse

silly is my stock in trade, I say do it.

you could maybe use some aluminium extrusions (angle or U) for frame parts, to hold those nasty glass-cracking nuts, and blow the glass around/over? I dunno.

glass blower, huh? I bags first ask for "can you blow some control knobs?"
don't make me draw another line.

ASchmalex

I think with some plastic (nylon?) Washers it would be ok to munt on a flattened glass surface. I work borosilicate glass so it is quite durable.
After a little brainstorming I think it would work well to mount electronics to the lid and then drop them into a vertical jar. I don't know that my soldering is worthy of being on display but it might make a kinda cool night light with some leds.
I'm thinking I could use 1/8 phone jacks to keep the size down and then make some conversion cables.
Hopefully I can dedicate some time to this project next week...

ASchmalex

Quote from: duck_arse on July 02, 2015, 11:57:51 AM
silly is my stock in trade, I say do it.

you could maybe use some aluminium extrusions (angle or U) for frame parts, to hold those nasty glass-cracking nuts, and blow the glass around/over? I dunno.

glass blower, huh? I bags first ask for "can you blow some control knobs?"
Knobs, possibly. If I can make something I'm happy with you will be first in the list, but honestly orders are piling up and I'm lazy so it most likely won't happen soon [emoji3]

Jdansti

You might have some problems with hum and other noise if you don't shield your circuits.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

stallik

Not glass but this clear acrylic amp looks really neat
http://www.instructables.com/id/Crystal-cMoy-Free-Form-Headphone-Amplifier
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

ASchmalex

Philippe

*hmm...most of the glass blower/diy types I've known focus more on creating stylish pot pipes* that said, does the type of glass used for stompboxes enter into the picture? it would be pretty bizarre for someone to shatter their guitar effect while stomping on it...unless it was part of the act.

blackcorvo

Perhaps you could do something like the Vox Tone Garage pedals, where they had a little "window" for the tube they used in the circuit?

Maybe it could be a recessed piece into the enclosure that lights up when the pedal is on, located between the knobs and the footswitch, and you could do something cool on the glass to show the name of the pedal (engrave it or sculpt it with hot glass)? Possibly even use the glass near the knobs to write the name of each control on it?

Just a thought!
She/They as of August 2021

ASchmalex

Quote from: blackcorvo on July 03, 2015, 12:38:38 AM
Perhaps you could do something like the Vox Tone Garage pedals, where they had a little "window" for the tube they used in the circuit?

Maybe it could be a recessed piece into the enclosure that lights up when the pedal is on, located between the knobs and the footswitch, and you could do something cool on the glass to show the name of the pedal (engrave it or sculpt it with hot glass)? Possibly even use the glass near the knobs to write the name of each control on it?

Just a thought!
I like it! The more ideas the better, thank you!