Need help with my homebuilt wah.

Started by arjespen, July 03, 2015, 04:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arjespen

I just put together a wah from madbeans weener wah schematic. (http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/WeenerWah/WeenerWahII.pdf)
I've put a 100k trimmer in parallel with the inductor, instead of the 33k. (R7)
(I also used a 500R trimmer on the first transistor, as in the schematic).
I used a stack-of-dimes inductor, and a 100k Gagan pot.
I've played around with the transistors, and ended op with two old 2n5088's which measured 360 and 332 hfe on my meter.

It sound nice, but I have one problem:
When I go from heel down, and slightly up, there is one particular spot, where there is some sort of resonant harmonic frequency that sort of sticks out a lot, compared to everywhere else on the travel of the pedal.
When going from heel down to toe down in one motion, this makes the wah sound like there's a "click" or very sudden change. I presume that the pot must influence how fast the pedal transitions from ooo to aaa, but I believe my problem is that particular spot with that particular harmonic.
Any advice on what to do about it?

Regards

Transmogrifox

Maybe check C4 and C5 and be sure it's the right 220n value.  If these are smallish (like less than 100n) they can have some influence on the resonance in a way that you are describing.

That's the only thing that comes to mind....well unless you have the 500R gain pot set near 0 so you have something close to 100 ohms.  It can go very resonant at the lower end.

Does it make a difference which capacitor you have switched in?
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.