Making Boss CE2 True Bypass

Started by canman, July 03, 2015, 09:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canman

Hey guys,

I've got a guy who wants me to make his MIJ Boss CE2 true bypass  :icon_eek:

I figure what the heck, if he wants it done it's his loss.  The "flip flop" switching is interesting and I just want to make sure this is doable.

Would I be able to remove the existing switch, connect those two wires together to "hardwire" the circuit on, and then proceed to make the pedal true bypass from there?  Or would doing so mess up the FET switching?

Thanks!

PRR

> connect those two wires together to "hardwire" the circuit on

If the flipflop were already on, this connection would "hardwire it OFF".

Short the FET.

• SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Note that the input WILL pop, following TB conversion, unless a terminating/bleed resistor is added to the input.

Personally, I think this is misguided, but the customer's money is always right....sort of.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

PRR

> http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/bosstech.pdf

Yes, of course; but that shows three JFET switches.

If I have found the correct "CE2" schematic (there may be many?), there's just one. The dry signal always passes through ("true buffered", with qualifications). The wet signal is broken at one place.

And it appears that canman wants an "always effected" path, which he will bypass-around with the mechanical switch.

He could of course use your unequal-caps technique to force the flipflop to "on" at every start-up.

Since there is just one JFET to over-ride, it occurred to me that jumpering the one JFET was quicker and a dime cheaper than adding ~~~100pFd to flip or flop. And could be done with a fat red wire which would be instantly recognizable as a non-Stock "mod" to be removed if this stuck-on behavior ever became un-wanted.

• SUPPORTER

canman

Thanks for all the replies...I thought it would be fairly simple to make this thing true bypass, and I was hoping to leave everything stock in case this guy ever wants to sell it as "original."

He gave me the option to make it true bypass or not, so here's what I'm thinking...just replace the Boss switch with a momentary SPDT stomp switch and put it in a 125B enclosure.  Only have to move two wires (and probably change the LED so I can use a 5mm bezel) and won't have to short out any FETs.  Much better approach, especially since I don't want to deal with switch pop!