neovibe power ?!?!

Started by 1878, July 06, 2015, 12:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone

I'll be finishing up my Neovibe from GGG build tomorrow & I was wondering the best way to power it. I've built a voltage doubler with a TC1044S which I was planning on using, but I'm starting to doubt after a bit of reading.

I have a very nice variable power supply on my desk which I test everything out with, 0v-30v with a twist of a knob, but this won't be on my pedalboard.

Also, I'm using 'pad J' 18vdc-24vdc.

Thanks in advance.

R.G.

I doubted that a charge pump would drive it too, but several members here have reported success with the LT1054, which has more current ability that most of the 1044-ish versions.

Here's a thought: with your bench supply, there is probably a meter that can be switched to measure the current the circuit draws.  Even if it doesn't, you can use your DMM to measure the current needs of the circuit. Once you know that number, you can make intelligent choices about what power supply will and won't work.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Right !! Light bulb goes on !!

It's the current draw rather than the voltage which causes the problem. That's not so much of a problem for me then.

Thanks.

Finished the build earlier today & I'm not getting any power to the board. I measured 22.2v (dc) at the power jack, but there wasn't any power to the bulb. To be honest, I bought a job lot of power jacks & out of 12 or so that I've used, 2 have been faulty. I'm asking in advance because of the higher voltages & not wanting to burn out any of the components.

Also, am I right in thinking you use only one wire from the board ?? At the moment, I have one cable from pad J wired to my 2.1mm power jack.

Thanks peeps.

bloxstompboxes

You said one wire. For power you need at least 2 wires... your positive and negative or gnd. Are you grounding through jacks and the enclosure? How are you connecting the negative of your power supply to the board?

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

The instructions tell you not to ground 'either wire'. There's the option of using AC or DC power. I may have done something completely wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/univibeupdate.pdf

All sorted !! Bulb flashes, dims etc, but I have a very weak distorted signal when engaged. I'll reflow all solder joints etc tomorrow as well as getting my audio probe some action. Fingers crossed !!