Fuzz Face using 2n5088/ 2n3904. Will it works?

Started by nguitar12, July 12, 2015, 07:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nguitar12

Hey guys I am planing to build a fuzz face according to the above circuit. Can I use 2n5088/ 2n3904 in replace of the requested one?

Thanks in advance.

Kipper4

This design uses a PNP transistor so no it won't work with an NPN transistor.
Even if you reverse the cap polarity and power rails it's unlikely to fair well you may be better to choose an NPN fuzz design
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Kipper4

Grey Paper.

nguitar12

Quote from: Kipper4 on July 12, 2015, 07:55:03 AM
This design uses a PNP transistor so no it won't work with an NPN transistor.
Even if you reverse the cap polarity and power rails it's unlikely to fair well you may be better to choose an NPN fuzz design

Just found another NPN version.
I don't see any different in circuit between the NPN and PNP one. Why is that?

Kipper4

Some big differences look at the cap polarity and power rails. The pnp is positive ground, not so the npn.

Grey Paper.

GibsonGM

What Kipper said - try the Axis Fuzz...it's a great place to start for an NPN fuzz, and you can mod from there. 
There are many variants of this basic circuit all over the place...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

nguitar12

Quote from: GibsonGM on July 12, 2015, 08:30:07 AM
What Kipper said - try the Axis Fuzz...it's a great place to start for an NPN fuzz, and you can mod from there. 

Axis Fuzz seem having many parts count.
I want to make the circuit as simply as possible.

Cozybuilder

A couple of days ago I breaded one of these, with 2N3904 for Q1, and 2N5088 for Q2. The values you show in the NPN circuit above are generally OK, if you want some more volume, change the 330R to something higher, say 1K, and put a trim pot in the 8K2 spot, adjust for 4.5V on Q2C. You can use a lower value volume pot- an A25K works fine and helps to drive cables. There are many posts on how to modify a fuzz face, get out your breadboard and have fun with it.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

nguitar12

Quote from: Cozybuilder on July 12, 2015, 09:22:05 AM
A couple of days ago I breaded one of these, with 2N3904 for Q1, and 2N5088 for Q2. The values you show in the NPN circuit above are generally OK, if you want some more volume, change the 330R to something higher, say 1K, and put a trim pot in the 8K2 spot, adjust for 4.5V on Q2C. You can use a lower value volume pot- an A25K works fine and helps to drive cables. There are many posts on how to modify a fuzz face, get out your breadboard and have fun with it.

Wow this is definitely a great information. I am going to try it out soon. Thanks for all who helps.

GibsonGM

Quote from: nguitar12 on July 12, 2015, 09:04:16 AM
Quote from: GibsonGM on July 12, 2015, 08:30:07 AM

Axis Fuzz seem having many parts count.
I want to make the circuit as simply as possible.

Well then, just use that 2nd schematic up there, for negative ground/NPN, and play with different NPN transistors.  Once you get this circuit down, then maybe you'll decide to find others, as there are MANY fuzz circuits out there!   

Each has its own character.   Good luck.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

smallbearelec

PRR

> I don't see any different in circuit between the NPN and PNP one. Why is that?

The interconnection is the same. All the *polarities* are different.

And the 470/330 change, which affects output level. This may be because Si often comes with higher gain than Ge, or may be a random tweak for a specific player/amp combination. You can diddle that resistor 220 to 820 and change the output level without upsetting anything else.
  • SUPPORTER

nguitar12

Thanks all. You guys are always being so helpful.  :icon_biggrin:

mac

You need to lower the 8k2 resistor to 5k6 or so if you want 4v5 at q2 collector.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84