FY-2 Companion Fuzz: Increasing output without extra boost circuit?

Started by Snufkinoob, July 13, 2015, 10:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snufkinoob

Is there any simple way of getting more output volume from the FY-2 circuit without adding an extra boost circuit?

I'm sure I've read somewhere, most likely here, that lowering the value of the 100k might work?

Anyone know, or have an idea on possible ways to do this?

tca

I don't think you'll get more volume... just less fuzz. But try it.

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

stonerbox

That's weird.. you should have plenty of volume coming out that pedal. Makes me think that something is worng somewhere in there or is it that you want a SUPER DUPER volume boost at hand? If so then you gotto add a booster at the end om the circuit and I recommend AMZ MOSFET Booster if you got any lying around, if not then just build a basic transistor circuit instead.

http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

Mark Hammer

I have an original rehoused board, and it's actually not that loud of a pedal.  Do keep in mind that it heralds from a time when no one really thought about pummeling the front end of their amp to achieve different tones.

There are essentially two sources/causes that limit the output level.  One is the manner in which the 100k/47nf/47k network on Q2 limits the bass (removing the 47nf will bring some bass back).  But by far, the biggest drain on volume level is the midscoop filter.  If you build yourself an Orpheum Fuzz - which is very close to an FY-2, only without the midscoop - you will note a substantially higher output.  Not orders-of-magnitude higher, but loud enough that you can afford to turn the volume down, even at less than total fuzz.

I modded my original to be able to bypass the midscoop, and used a 47k resistor in place of the filter network, to arrive at a very similar volume level.  If you implement the midscoop control shown in the drawing (which actually doesn't really need to be much above 2k-5k...50k was a first approximation and overkill), you will note a volume boost as scoop is reduced and mids restored.  I'll leave it up to you to decide if it restores as much volume as you seek, without compromising the tone you want.

bool

You could as well try to increase the 50K volume pot to a 100K one. This will likely also change the tonal character a little bit, but it's a simple mod to try.

From a glance, reducing the 100K resistor in 2nd collector circuit to a 47K one should improve the drive ability somewhat but would also change the tonal character - it would affect the operating point of the transistor and the "flavor" that goes with it.

allesz

Hallo, I give my two cents, since this kind of fuzz architecture (fuzzrite, orpheum etc. etc.) is one of my favourite.

The suggestions from Mark Hammer are very good: restoring bass and mids will give you some db back.
And the volume pot idea seems another good one, but don't just use 100K, try 250K and 500K too.

On the other hand you should remember that this kind of circuit mix signals in phase and in antiphase, so you will have always a little bit of phase cancellation. This will always eat some signal, wile giving his own (wonderful) sound.
The problem you mention is quite evident with chords, but this circuit to me is really best suited for single note lines. 

Another fast, easy (and maybe silly) idea: increase the value of both fuzz and volume pots, you will have sound with less phase cancellation and maybe more output.

Snufkinoob

Thanks for the replies. Will have a go at some point.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 13, 2015, 12:14:49 PM
100k/47nf/47k network on Q2 limits the bass (removing the 47nf will bring some bass back).  But by far, the biggest drain on volume level is the midscoop filter.  If you build yourself an Orpheum Fuzz - which is very close to an FY-2, only without the midscoop - you will note a substantially higher output.  Not orders-of-magnitude higher, but loud enough that you can afford to turn the volume down, even at less than total fuzz.

I modded my original to be able to bypass the midscoop, and used a 47k resistor in place of the filter network, to arrive at a very similar volume level.  If you implement the midscoop control shown in the drawing (which actually doesn't really need to be much above 2k-5k...50k was a first approximation and overkill), you will note a volume boost as scoop is reduced and mids restored.  I'll leave it up to you to decide if it restores as much volume as you seek, without compromising the tone you want.

Thanks Mark.

I tried your midscoop and tone toggle mods as it happens, but I wasn't too keen on the midscoop, though if I try it again I'll try a smaller value pot.

Funny you should mention the Orpheum as I've built a few of them in the past few months, so might try and see what I can learn from altering the FY-2 more toward the Orpheum. I prefer to wire the FY-2 like the Orpheum too, as it seems to have the original fuzz-tone sweep up until noon, then gets brighter without being too harsh.

bool

Increasing the volume pot value is - although it will change the tone ever so slightly - the only "almost invisible" way to get a slight increase of output level with this circuit.