Ibanez Cs5 true bypass?

Started by mafew129, July 13, 2015, 01:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mafew129

I'm rehousing an old Ibanez cs5 chorus pedal (comes in a flimsy plastic enclosure) and I would like to make it true bypass. For this i'm trying to get rid of the FET switching and have the effect 'always on' so I can then add the 3pdt.
How would I go about doing this? I've started by removing q1 and r54 but that just gives me clean signal all the time.
Schematic: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron ... hp?id=2315

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

PRR

Wasn't this discussed like a day ago?

Short the JFET, Source to Drain. Now the audio path is always effected.

While there are tricks to make the flip-flop always come up in the "flop" state, they are tricks and can be tricky. What you *really* want to do is pass signal from the delay chip to the output stage. Jumper on the JFET does that.

BTW, your URL was munged. http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=2315

> Why?

Agree; except this pedal's "un-effected" path is more than most. It does a 800Hz preemphasis and a 800Hz deemphasis. Although it uses same-value parts both sections, and "should" cancel, and there should be plenty headroom above 800Hz, it's more than just ded-clean buffers.

Assuming 20% capacitors, the two corners *could* be a half-octave apart, and could be 3+dB of step in the frequency response, mid-band where it will skew bass/treble balance. Of course if that is offensive, then it will offend in the effected mode also, so the real fix is to match the two networks. But whatever.
  • SUPPORTER

bthm3288

reviving an old thread as I'm looking to do the same thing with my Ibanez CS-5 chorus pedal - I would like to rehouse and make true bypass (mine changes the midrange character of the tone when bypassed but sounds amazing engaged). I'm not sure which JFET to short, is it TR10? I can't tell.. schematic attached, any input much appreciated!