Fuzz won't fuzz!

Started by suncrush, July 14, 2015, 02:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suncrush

I'm building a Muff Fuzz circuit, as shown here, using silicon diodes:

The first time I breadboarded it, it fuzzed fine, but there was TONS of white noise.  So, I pulled it apart and put it back together more carefully.  Now it barely fuzzes at all!

>:(

I've double checked all my connections, and everything seems fine.  Any guesses what would make it fail to fuzz?

peterg

Mark Hammer

It's a little tough for newbies, and those who may not be newbies, but are new to this forum.  But the objective is to provide as much info to aid in diagnosis as possible.  Otherwise, it is a bit like walking into a doctor's office and declaring "I don't feel well", without any other details.

For those folks without much building experience, the sources of non-functioning tend to fall into a couple of categories:

1) Misconnections; sometimes deliberate (e.g., transistor flipped around the wrong way, pinout mistakes), and sometimes unintended (e.g., solder blobs/shorts, parts shorted out against a metal chassis, wrong lugs on a power jack or phone jack).

2) Heat-related damage.

3) Disconnections; fractured wires and component leads, cold solder joints, broken solder lugs.

suncrush

I had a bad resistor, and I was too frustrated to find it.  It turns out that making the resistor between pins 2 and 7 larger makes it much, much cleaner.

Thanks for the link.  I'll add more info next time.

antonis

<off topic> :icon_redface:

In theory, it doesn't matter which part of voltage divider is stabilized by a capacitor but the above schematic it's the first one in which I've noticed this kind of regulation...
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..