Seeking DIY amp effects loop (with install instructions)

Started by cruisemates, July 20, 2015, 06:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruisemates

I am building pedals now - and I decided a 2204 is the best test amp, so I got one, but dang, I miss the reverb. You can't use a reverb pedal when testing pedals that have all kinds of different output level options - My EHX "Holy Grail" is just having fits placed after my new builds.

SO - I want to add a non-permanent effects loop to the JCM800 (not drilling any holes). I  can buy the metropolis, but I know I have to knowledge to build my own circuit. What I don't have is the knowledge to install it in my amp.

I can follow the directions given with the metropolis effects loop, but I see other people here (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=94906.0) have already designed other effects loop circuits I could use. I just need to know how to fit them into my amp.

Is it possible to find out? Or should I just fork over the $90 and wait for the Zero Loss effect loop?

petey twofinger

MY test amps are  all tube ANALOG jc120 , i like stereo as we were born with two ears not one ,  i dont use the stock reverb as it has always sounded very harsh and digital , so i have some eventide and lexicon outboards to handle stuff like that . the switching and routing is thru an afx-ultra 2 with a tc ground control midied up to that . for bedroom stuff i have an orig 59 bassman and i just run an oil can on that .

ymmv

8)
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

cruisemates

Petey - that is really cool - but is that what you use to test pedal builds?

Groovenut

You could always build the metro (or your own design) to use a stereo jack tip=send, ring=return, sleeve=mutual ground, use a Y cable to connect effects and mount the stereo jack in one off the two speaker jack holes on the back panel. No drilling, easy to take the amp back to stock.  I have installed my loops for clients using either the single back panel speaker hole or the front panel low input, but the low input location needs special lead dress consideration to avoid cross talk, tone degradation and oscillation. My 2 cents.
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

cruisemates

Thanks groovenut, I have not done it before but I did read about using shielded wire and heat shrink. I ordered the metro loop - so maybe when I m ready I can come back and get some advice from you. I appreciate your input a lot@!