waterslide decal nightmare

Started by add4, August 01, 2015, 12:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

Hello,

most of the decals i apply look perfect right after the application, but when they dry, there is a lot of micro bubbles (not even bubbles, it's more like the decal did not stick in some areas). I have absolutely no idea why it happens and i'm now basically stuck because i can't finish any box properly.

I thought some of you guys could point me in the right direction to avoid that.

here is a pic to better explain the problem

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B55lw2bfAg5cRWd3aldSQzM3R2xpaVBabVF2MHdjcG9GUjJv/view?usp=sharing

thanks in advance for your help !

danielzink

*Lukewarm*...not ice cold...not HOT water...lukewarm water (for me at least) seems to help the decal release a little better and helps with the pliability of the decal...

I always add some white vinegar to every bowl of water that I'm soaking my waterslide in.

Get the top of the enclosure wet before you drop your decal on - so you can move it around if needed - then once it's perfectly placed take a folded up paper towel and gently "squeegee" all the water out from under the decal by wiping.

Twist your paper towel into a point and get inside the enclosure and blot out any excessive water that's trapped in the pre-drilled holes.

Invest in some Micro-Sol decal setting solution (http://www.amazon.com/Microscale-Industries-BMF128-Setting-Solution/dp/B0006O9K5Q)....once your decal is set/squeegee'd and blotted from underneath...take a small brush and brush a very thin amount of this onto the decal....

Dan

cloudscapes

I like to brush water-based varnish/lacquer on the surface before applying the decal. I don't even wait for it to dry. It acts a little like glue too. There are still bubbles but far fewer in my experience.

The rest is in how you apply the decal, and how you push bubbles out throgu hthe edges/holes before it dries.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

davent

Maybe soaking too long, soak only long enough for the decal to release from the backing paper.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

add4

Quote from: danielzink on August 01, 2015, 09:31:52 AM
*Lukewarm*...not ice cold...not HOT water...lukewarm water (for me at least) seems to help the decal release a little better and helps with the pliability of the decal...

I always add some white vinegar to every bowl of water that I'm soaking my waterslide in.

Get the top of the enclosure wet before you drop your decal on - so you can move it around if needed - then once it's perfectly placed take a folded up paper towel and gently "squeegee" all the water out from under the decal by wiping.

Twist your paper towel into a point and get inside the enclosure and blot out any excessive water that's trapped in the pre-drilled holes.

Invest in some Micro-Sol decal setting solution (http://www.amazon.com/Microscale-Industries-BMF128-Setting-Solution/dp/B0006O9K5Q)....once your decal is set/squeegee'd and blotted from underneath...take a small brush and brush a very thin amount of this onto the decal....

Dan

excellent! i'll try the white vinegar thing next time. and i bought the micro sol solutions. Thanks for the tip i'll let you know how it goes!

add4

Quote from: davent on August 01, 2015, 01:44:42 PM
Maybe soaking too long, soak only long enough for the decal to release from the backing paper.

soaking is as short as possible so i guess it's not that. thanks for the idea.

add4

Hello,

Just wanted to make a quick update.
Yesterday evening, i made another try using DanielZink's advice: i used lukewarm water to soak the decal, AND i added some white vinegar to it.

So, it completely solved my problem (and i know that it usually happens repetively with a particular enclosure.).
Perfect 'painted on' result'.

This has been bugging me for almost 2 years so ... i can't thank you enough for helping me with that Dan.

Hope it helps other people in the future too.

danielzink

chromesphere

Quote from: add4 on August 03, 2015, 04:20:49 AM
Hello,

Just wanted to make a quick update.
Yesterday evening, i made another try using DanielZink's advice: i used lukewarm water to soak the decal, AND i added some white vinegar to it.

So, it completely solved my problem (and i know that it usually happens repetively with a particular enclosure.).
Perfect 'painted on' result'.

This has been bugging me for almost 2 years so ... i can't thank you enough for helping me with that Dan.

Hope it helps other people in the future too.

White vinegar, that's interesting, how much did you put in add4/danielzink?  I always though that sort of grainy effect happened from soaking too long (adhesive gets washed off).  Have to try the vinegar next time!
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

add4

i put like 1/4 vinegar, 2/3 water. out of not knowing at all how much i had to put, but that it was worth getting another completely different way of @#$%ing it up so at least i would learn the effect of vinegar if it was too much. (idk if it's clear)

it was also 1am and my eyes were closing by themselves without warning so i just tried the first think i had in mind :)

it worked fine :D

Cozybuilder

Quote from: add4 on August 04, 2015, 07:32:46 AM
i put like 1/4 vinegar, 2/3 water. out of not knowing at all how much i had to put

What was the other 9%?
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

davent

The solutions like MicroSol smell strongly of acetic acid, have to wonder if there's really more to them then just diluted vinegar.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

add4

Quote from: Cozybuilder on August 04, 2015, 10:47:41 AM
Quote from: add4 on August 04, 2015, 07:32:46 AM
i put like 1/4 vinegar, 2/3 water. out of not knowing at all how much i had to pu

What was the other 9%?

Also water, but more lukewarm than the 2/3.

p.s. i guess i wrote that answer a bit fast :)

danielzink

Typically I use about 1/4 vinegar to 3/4 water.

I read years ago that Micro Sol and those sort of decal "softeners" were mostly vinegar (acetic acid).

Dan

vigilante397

I've never used anything but water for the decals, and the only time I ever really got bubbles was when I didn't get all the water droplets out from underneath the decal. What always worked for me was to soak it just until the decal came off the backing without extra effort, lay it on the clean dry surface, then "squeegee" it dry with a microfiber cloth, and after all the water is gone bake it at 200 degrees for about 5 minutes.

But that's just me ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com