Ge diodes....any preferences?

Started by plexi12000, August 06, 2015, 10:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

i'm sure this has been asked 27 trillion times!  kinda like asking, "what's the best tubes for my vibrolux"? LOL

from what i've read....1n34a, 1n60 and 1n270's seem to be the most ones used?  is there actually any audible differences?  or will i be content with any of them?

been looking around and the 270's seem to be the costliest. Thank you!

teemuk

They probably all have different characteristic curves.

e.g. Both 1N34A and AA112 are Germanium diodes, yet there's not much in common in their transfer curves what comes to overall sloping or "knee" of the curve. The only thing in common is that they both start to conduct somewhere around 0.3 volts.

It is audible, but the real question is HOW audible. Probably not that much. I would expect Silicon diodes have equally as much differences in their characteristic curves, yet no one seems to care about that so much.

And given that one can and will shape the characteristic curve by varying source, series and parallel -resistances to the diodes it doesn't really matter that much what diodes you choose to use. And the forward voltage... that's just a matter of input signal amplitude.

plexi12000

cool--  thanks for your comment buddy-  i dont believe i'm going to worry much about then!