FA-1 clone pedal, i need help...

Started by heathfball20, August 11, 2015, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heathfball20

Ive built an FA-1 clone using the Prism circuit board from aionelectronics.com .

Here is my issue, when the pedal is put together, it powers up and has sound however, the sound is distorted. Bypass works as it should.

I accidentally ordered pots that have detents. Didnt know until i had installed them. But it seems that the pots are the issue. They crackle and buzz when i touch them which sounds like a grounding issue, but im not sure if that explains the terrible sound.

I have checked for solder bridges by going inbetween with a razor. Reflowed weak looking solder joints, rewired, everything looks correct. Im stuck on the pots though.

Sorry so short. Let me know if you need more info for diagnosis.

PRR

> pots... They crackle and buzz when i touch them

The pot shafts should be in a grounded metal enclosure, so should not crackle.

The pot terminals are usually very sensitive circuit points, and *will* amplify all the crackle and buzz on your body. So don't touch them when using the pedal.
  • SUPPORTER

heathfball20

When the knobs are on and they are tight to the enclosure, the pots cut the sound in and out when i turn them. And the sound is super distorted. I know it naturally has a lot of gain, but its supposed to be a boost. The pre amp volume on my amp is pretty low so i can get a nice clean sound.

heathfball20

I ordered new pots that are smooth turn rather than detented. 1 because i prefer smooth pots and 2 i hope to eliminate the possibility that it is the pots. I have no doubt that the PCB is done 100% to the build sheet Kevin provides through his site.

To be more specific, i turn the trebel pot, the sound cuts in and out, same with the volume pot. Not so much with the bass pot.

aion

The pots are insulated against the PCB, right? I usually use the pot covers from Small Bear, but you can even just use a piece of cardboard.

Next step would be to post a photo, and then the voltages on each of the pins of the op-amps.

We'll get it going! It's a great circuit, definitely worth the time to debug!

heathfball20

Yes, the pots are insulated from the pcb using those very same covers from small bear. I will get a pic posted. ASAP. I used the HW1457 ICs rather than the 8 lug op amp IC. So I need the voltages from each pin on both ICs?

heathfball20

The first URL is the pic of the PCB
The second is the voltages of the ICs I drew up and the transistor. The flat side of the transistor on the right of the circles

heathfball20

I guess this helps better, now that ive read the  debug page.
Q1
C=8.71
B=0.68
E=4.40

IC1
P1=4.08
P2
P3=4.10
P4=0.00
P5=0.63
P6=4.28
P7=4.33
P8=8.71

IC2
P1=2.81
P2
P3=3.31
P4=0.00
P5=0.26
P6=4.28
P7=3.80
P8=8.72

D1=8.71

idy

The transistor should be an FET, which pinout is SGD, not EBC. The type of FET is probably not critical as it is a buffer, but the pinout should match (or be bent to match) the layout.
The voltages on the ICs look about right, 0 on pin 4, close to 9 on pin 8, and half voltage on pin 6.
I can't see C14, but C13 is missing. The Opamps should have these two caps.

It's a neat build. Hope you don't have to remove the pots.

I've built a few of these, I think at least one on a "prism" board, but only used the old-fashioned single op-amps in single line packages on one that i don't have here so I can't compare voltages.

heathfball20

Ahhhh!!!! I went back and read on C13 & C14. I totally got it backwards. I misread that big time!  They are supposed to be left empty if i used a 4558 style op amp. Lol, thank you for bringing that to my attention. Lets see if 2 100pf caps will do the job. ;D

heathfball20

Idk how i missed that studying the schematic as long as i did. Lol. Staring me right in the face and i didnt pay attention.

heathfball20

The transistor is Fet. SDG. The EBC is from my copy and paste from the debug page. I didnt think to change that.

So i just soldered in the 100pf caps in C13 & C14 and IT WORKS!!!! Thanks to my negligence and your genious, together we made this work!

I really appreciate it. It sounds sooooo good!

idy

Some days you eat the bear, some days the bar eats you. It's always easier to see someone else's mistakes.

That's a pretty useful pedal to have. I ended up using it for a vocal mic, just to get rid of the boominess on a headset, brighten up my breathy voice.

I tried briefly to add clipping diodes and turn it into an OD, but didn't play enough to make this work. I also think of experimenting with the freqs of the B and T, or adding a midrange.

aion