Pedalboard Master Volume Box Question

Started by nero1985, August 12, 2015, 12:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

Hi guys, on my current board i'm using a Voodoo Lab HEX which is a 6 loop box that is midi controlled, i'm using it to preset my pedals.

For clean i'm using an orange squeezer clone with a delay pedal, for rhythm I'm using a Suhr Riot Reloaded, for leads i'm using the Riot with the Compressor on as well, the compressor is before the Riot so it gives me a slight gain boost and nice sustain.

Now i put together in a 1590A box a pot wired as a volume, input and output and that's it, passive, i put that box on the last loop of the HEX and when im on rhythm i turn on that box, then i can lower the volume of my rhythm and when im on lead i turn it off so i get the full volume of the Riot, the idea is to have a louder lead sound with a passive box so i don't have to add an additional power supply since im out of them.

The volume box has a 50k audio taper pot.

The issue im having tho is that the volume box changes the sound of the riot, with it on i'm getting a thinner sound and it's driving me crazy, I figured it has to do with the value of the pot, another thing i don't like is that the pot is too responsive so a small movement on the pot makes a big change in volume, i thought about maybe putting a trim pot where the ground connection of the main pot but im not sure if that's going to help much

Anybody have any advice on this? As i mentioned i just want a passive volume box if possible, i really want to avoid using a boost because also i'm affraid that the boost may add noise.

I'm including a picture of my board altho it's in pieces right now for the fun of it, you can see the volume box on the top left a long with the orange squeezer (the two 1590a pedals next to each other), neither of them have a footswtich since they were meant to save room and to be used with the HEX