Can anyone identify this PCB ?

Started by Buzz, August 19, 2015, 05:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Hi All,

I've been going through some unfinished projects lately and trying to get them all done and boxed up.

I came across this in my collection of which I have no recollection. It looks like an OD / Distortion board to me.

Does anyone recognize the board? I need the project file so I can complete it.

( I find it particularly comedic that I seem to have managed to solder in an op-amp socket before relegating the project to the "later" box. I suspect my homebrewed ale may have played a part in this )

I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

Buzz

I've been racking my brains over this for a couple of days now.

I finally decided to scan the board and ask the fine people here on the forum.

Murphy's law just kicked in.  :icon_redface: I just found the documentation for the project in an archive folder on my PC. :icon_redface:

It's an AION stratus pcb.

Now I just have to work out why I wanted to make another tube screamer.

My apologies.

I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

Luke51411

aion

Yep, this would have been one of the prototype PCBs from before I officially launched the website (the production PCBs are blue). I sold these in the "Buy/Sell" section here and on a couple other forums. They were identical to version 1 of the Stratus, including part numbers and everything - just a different color.

Buzz

Quote from: aion on August 20, 2015, 02:06:42 PM
Yep, this would have been one of the prototype PCBs from before I officially launched the website (the production PCBs are blue). I sold these in the "Buy/Sell" section here and on a couple other forums. They were identical to version 1 of the Stratus, including part numbers and everything - just a different color.

Cheers mate. I found your site page for it, complete with version 1 layout info.

I also found the box I have already drilled to the template ( another mystery project item solved )

My unreliable memory was also forthcoming as to why I was going to build it. I'll bet many of you have been in similair situations.

A friend had heard and then borrowed my home made modded ts808. Friend then says "make me one... please ! I'll pay you" So I source the bits I need and start the build. "Friend" goes to music shop and buys a modern TS9 reissue he sees on special. Doesn't want it anymore but to his credit says he'll still pay me for it. I let him off the hook. I was doing him a favour anyway.

So here I am with the board and box.

There's a truckload of options for this board. I'll have to pick one out and have a build.

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (single channel)
Fulltone RTO
Lovepedal Eternity
Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive
Clay Jones Overdrive

I know that it is a matter of taste and therefore subjective, but does anyone have a recommendation of which to build?

aion

The LDO/CJOD gets very high marks from most people who build them.

I am also partial to the Fulldrive, but I would use the "footnote" values (R5 = 3k3, R6 = 22k and C4 = 100n). In retrospect, while it's technically the same but tweaked for much higher gain, the taper of the pot throws it into high-gain really fast so you can't dial in the lower-gain tones very easily. I amended this in the v2 documentation, but it applies to v1 as well.

Enjoy!