Fuzz with effect out and clean out?

Started by Snufkinoob, August 19, 2015, 12:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snufkinoob

I've built myself a Super-Fuzz, but it doesn't sound quite as good with one amp as it does the other, and while this was reason enough to consider selling the amp that doesn't quite like fuzz, it just dawned on me that I could maybe put in an 'effect' out on the fuzz that goes to the 2nd amp, while the 'clean' out would go to the rest of my pedals and to the other amp... then it dawned on me I have no idea how to do this.

Would it be something I could add to the fuzz itself, or would it be easier to build some kind of dedicated switching box/effect loop thingbob?

Maroslav

Snufkinoob

Will have a look, thanks.

And if there was any confusion I'd want to be able to either have both amps on all the time and when I kick on the fuzz, Amp B gets that while A remains the same. OR Amp B gets nothing until the fuzz/switch box is kicked on, but A is still always on. I think that makes sense.

Just remembered the Silver Rose fuzz has this feature too, so how does that function in terms of being an addition to the effect pedal circuit? And is it just a universal circuit/switching added to the main circuit or is it integrated into it (i.e. I'd have to build the circuit from scratch rather than just sticking additional bits and bobs onto it)

ashcat_lt

A link to your schematic would be nice, but the first google result shows that this is one of those fuzzes that depends on a very low input impedance "loading" the pickups (actually, working with the inductance of the pickup to lower the cutoff of its LPF action) to kill most of the treble going into the fuzz.  A passive split before this will cause you to lose treble going to both amps, and quite likely not give you what you want.  An active split with high enough in-Z to keep the treble going to the bare amp will probably make the fuzz sound like crap.  You'd probably want to add some sort of LPF to the input of the fuzz after an active split (needs two isolated active outputs - a pair of transistors or a dual opamp) in order to get what you expect out of both amps at once .  A lot of folks will point you at the AMZ pickup simulator, but I'm not convinced that's a whole lot better than a simple RC LPF.