advice, tips, info

Started by LightSoundGeometry, August 21, 2015, 05:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LightSoundGeometry

just got accepted today in the EE program out at the college. the first two non electives I have to take are intro to electricity EE1 and math 104- math for electronics.

what should I expect out of these classes?  I was wondering about how this math is going to be for me, I passed college algebra with a B but it was a chore for me; and I passed business statistics 191/205 with a B and it was also tough on me. I spent up to 6 hours a day sometimes on things lol. I at least have a genuine interest in the subject matter this time around so that should help in the motivation department.

I looked up my professor, he is the head of the department lol. a retired navy guy. I got him for both classes because of the class times.

hymenoptera

Not sure how much help I can be, but I just wanted to point out that there are some great video tutorials on youtube for you, for when you feel in over your head on a particular subject. Might not be a bad idea to dig through those at the beginning of each semester, then again when you're feeling stuck on your homework, etc.

Everyone learns differently, and I know how tough it can be when the classroom approach isn't working for you. Sometimes having someone to explain it to you, or having visual representation, etc, can make all the difference.
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

LightSoundGeometry

we will see if I can hack it lol. If anything,  the safety parts and the use of tools etc will stay with me forever. I hope they have labs where I can mess around with the software and stuff. 

the course descriptions are open and vague but one mentions breadboarding something lol

FiveseveN

Here's a tip: don't use "lol" as a punctuation mark in your papers.  :icon_biggrin:
But yeah, the number of free video courses has exploded in recent years. Even if it's the same subject matter, hearing it delivered in a different way might help if you didn't quite grasp it in class.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

jatalahd

If you are highly motivated, then you should not worry about the math involved in electrical engineering. In any field of engineering mathematics is just a tool, which is used like a monkey would use a hammer. In practical work you just need to know to pick the right tool for the job and use it. The most important math "tools" for an EE who designs stuff are Linear algebra (solving groups of equations, using matrices and determinants, Gaussian elimination), complex arithmetic (phasor presentation for frequency dependent signals), Laplace transform and Fourier series (and of course the skill to use tabulated formulas). The Laplace transform is very handy, because it is used to make a differential equation problem into a linear algebra problem, so it hides the complexity of solving differential equations, making the life easier for everyone. But I don't know how far will they go on an introductory course, most likely the emphasis is in linear algebra and complex arithmetic.

Some topics will need more work to master than others. I am always against saying something to be difficult, because I think anyone can do anything if they really want to do it. A good hint is to go to the library, get as many books as you can carry, and just browse answers to any question you have in mind. Or directly ask from someone who knows EE.

And having a good lecturer will help tremendously, the best lecturers are the ones that really love the topic that they are teaching. A good lecturer's inspiration can make you interested in a subject you never liked that much. This happened to me regarding maths and physics, which I am forever grateful to the lecturers at the polytechnic I attended over 10 years ago.
  • SUPPORTER
I have failed to understand.