DOD 250 - Muddy at Low Gain?

Started by Zounds!, August 21, 2015, 07:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zounds!

I built a DOD 250 clone using this layout: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2013/06/dod-overdrive-preamp-250-reissue.html

My issue is that it is really muddy with the gain knob set below noon. My sound loses all of its top end with the gain turned counterclockwise, and only comes back as I ramp the gain up. With the gain cranked it is pretty darn bright. I've read a few reports of this kind of behavior in other people's 250s, but others seem to like it for low gain sounds...as it is, I would never use this for low gain. If used as a clean boost, it would be the opposite of "transparent"..."opaque" I guess.

I built it according to the layout except for two things: I made the input cap switchable (to go from the stock to YJM308 values), and omitted the 25pf cap. I know the "grey spec" 250 doesn't have a feedback cap, but this is the reissue and uses a dual opamp instead of single. Not sure if the single op amp has some kind of internal cap or something, but for now I left it out of my build until my parts order comes in (the smallest value cap I have right now is 150pf). Could that be the problem? As I understand it, the higher the value of feedback cap, the greater the high frequency rolloff is, but I'm not sure what the effect of omitting that cap is. Maybe it's unrelated, but figured I should mention that...Any thoughts? Or is this all normal for the 250?

Zounds!

Any ideas? I can take pictures if it sounds like a build error...I'm just trying to figure out if this is abnormal for the 250 or not  ??? I put a bypass cap across the gain pot which brightened up the low gain sounds, but don't want to keep a band-aid on the thing if it sounds like it has problems.

Elijah-Baley

I think at low gain settings the DOD250 got muddier than high gain settings, but if it too much there's something wrong.
Check all componets value! Try to measure the resistor or compare the colour with your other resistor. Check the capacitar codes and look the schematic.

I got something like that when I built mine, the output capacitar was wrong. ::)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Zounds!

Thanks for your insight! I checked over all my components again and all was good, so I dug deeper into the differences between the reissue version I built and older versions (which are much more popular). R6 (http://gaussmarkov.net/layouts/dod250/dod250-schem.png ) is 10k on older iterations but 100k on the reissue. I swapped a 10k into my build and have a much better low gain sound now and the pedal can be used as a relatively clean boost now without losing all my high end. Cheers!