News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Repurposed Enclosures

Started by GiovannyS10, September 07, 2015, 09:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiovannyS10

Hello everyone!   ;D

I'm here today to show for you my new project called "Repurposed Enclosures". I dont have money enough to buy new enclosures, so i tryed to use repurposed enclosures. I made 4 pedals using sardines can. What you think about this? :D I will wait the feedback.

Dont is the best work of the world, but is good for me :) Will be my new setup.
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

hymenoptera

Nice! We work with what's available!

So what are they? What circuits I mean. Commerical boards, perf, vero, or etch? And how do they sound? :)
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

GiovannyS10

Quote from: hymenoptera on September 07, 2015, 09:05:03 PM
Nice! We work with what's available!

So what are they? What circuits I mean. Commerical boards, perf, vero, or etch? And how do they sound? :)

Hi Hymenoptera!
Thanks for all! :)
For the circuit, i use phenolic board (blank board). And i will to recorder something for you listen the sound tomorrow! ;)

That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

hymenoptera

Pictures of insides would be nice too. I always like to see the ingenuity of necessity. My friends when we were growing up would call what you do "punk", as in punk rock, because you make do with what you have available to you. Making the best of what you have is essential to the philosophy.  :)
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

duck_arse

ohh, do kippers come in a tin too? they look the biscuits, gio. when can we see inside?

[edit :] (I actually meant this thread ..... http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=101458.0 )
don't make me draw another line.

GiovannyS10

Hi all!

I'm feeling very happy because you liked my work. I recorded two simple videos to show you a sample of this pedals. The sound of distortion not stayed very good on the recorder, i dont know why. But it is all for now.

The chorus video

The dist video

This video is a joke for a friend. She like so much green day. On this music i used the dist and the tremolo pedals. All made on the serdine can.  ;D Is on the bad quality of audio and video, but the intentios is good.

I desactivate this tremolo because i dont liked the final result. I will to create another in few weeks.
I will post pics inside.

Quote from: duck_arse on September 08, 2015, 11:23:33 AM
ohh, do kippers come in a tin too? they look the biscuits, gio. when can we see inside?

[edit :] (I actually meant this thread ..... http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=101458.0 )

Im sorry i dont understood it and create a new thread! Hahaha Sorry!
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

hymenoptera

That tremelo is exactly on the tempo. What layout or schematic did you use?

GiovannyS10

Quote from: hymenoptera on September 08, 2015, 12:49:53 PM
That tremelo is exactly on the tempo. What layout or schematic did you use?

Hello Hymenoptera!
The tremolo is not too good. The schematic is mine, i created him. If you want i write this for you.

I use the tape for avoid short-circuit

That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

hymenoptera

Man, that reminds me of the Speak & Spell I circuit bent like 15 years ago when I had a cheap iron, bad solder, and terrible untinned hookup wire. The wiring is messy, there's hot glue everywhere, electrical tape. It's a mess, but it's works! and I love it so much because it was one of the first DIY audio projects I'd ever finished. There weren't full instructions online like there is now, I just bent it the old fashioned way. I will always love that Speak & Spell no matter what.

Don't ever get rid of those pedals, because they'll always be dear to you!

So do you care to share your schematic, or is it a secret? :)

GiovannyS10

This is my first project!  ;D
But the my bad solder is fault of my iron. The point are very corroded.
I dont have problem in share my schematic. But is really very bad Hahaha i have same :icon red face: but i will write for you. When you use him alone, he make a noise (pop...pop....pop) on the tremolo speed. Is very inconvenient.
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

hymenoptera

It's cool. Maybe some of us can look your schematic over and remedy the pops. Might just need one more component added, or change a value.

Speaking of pops, I could hear the effect being engaged/disengaged quite loud, maybe a pulldown resistor is needed?

mcknib

Some impressive stuff there Giovanny using whatever's at your disposal that's real DIY that chorus sounds nice small clone?

I think your'e a wee bit too harsh on yourself for a guy that's not long started there's some pretty good skills developing I think good on ya!

I use cheap kids craft foam for insulation you can get it on e-bay simply press the enclosure or bottom plate on it and cut around the impression it leaves then glue it on

hymenoptera

Quote from: mcknib on September 08, 2015, 03:24:50 PM

I use cheap kids craft foam for insulation you can get it on e-bay simply press the enclosure or bottom plate on it and cut around the impression it leaves then glue it on

mcknib, it's funny you mention that stuff because I just bought some the other week, and I was looking at it about an hour ago, just saw it while organizing and picking up, and when I saw it I thought of this thread and the pictures of the electrical tape and thought to myself that that stuff would work great in a tight pedal enclosure to keep PCB joints from touching stuff, and also to keep the battery from jostling around.

I guess it's a common thing to do, but it just occurred to me.  8)

GiovannyS10

Yes hymenoptera. I will put a resistor in all schematics. And about the tremolo, i think it needs a resistor or a capacitor. I will see it. Soon i will write the schematic for you and post here.
And thank you very much for the clue mcknib. But its to dificullt to use in a sardine can Hahaha. I want to buy others enclosures, but dont have money enough for now. :)
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

mcknib

Nah! easy to use on any enclosure Giovanny just press it onto the foam and cut around the impression / mark it leaves. I don't use it on every build just the one's I think might get something touching the bare enclosure and Hymenoptera I sometimes just wedge it in to parts I think may short or touch it's definitely a nice cheap insulator.

duck_arse

these baseplates, are they made from something like "casting resin" in a mould of your bottom? and they won't short if they are resin/plastic.

don't make me draw another line.

GiovannyS10

Was made from a plastic DVD box. I cut him on the correct measures. And Hymenoptera, i will to send your schematic soon. Sorry for the delay :/
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

hymenoptera

No hurry, we're not going anywhere :)