Where do you get your parts in the UK???

Started by Les Paul Lover, September 15, 2015, 12:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper4

Glad to be of service.
Google the data sheet for both and you can compare yourself.
Happy shopping. I have an eBay link for good priced 3pdts but you have to buy 10 at a time. If it's still there. Pm me for info.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

tommycataus

Quote from: Les Paul Lover on September 19, 2015, 01:29:20 PM
I'm lucky enough to have a decent independent shop in Derby, but you can't find everything there.

I certainly could get all resistors and capacitors, but their selection of Pots and others isn't what I'd like. Nevermimd 3pdt footswitch...... But pedalparts.co.uk has those at the best price I can find in the UK.

Thanks for the heads up about the charge pump IC, the 7660s is directly interchangeable for the MAX1044 in the Klon clone I want to do!

Derby? Dammit. I used to live in Chesterfield. Had I known!
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

stevie1556

A few people have mentioned foot switches, and the best 3PDT ones ice found is Protaitone ones (you can get them on Aliexpress. I've probably used around 500 of them and never had a failure.

daz061

Ive bought quite a few things from hobby-range (uk ebay seller), decent prices compared to some sellers. also had a few germanium trannies off him. great stuff!

jewksey

Thanks Daz, just found it on ebay, some good stuff, ordered me some J201 and CA3080. Whilst on ebay I was looking for germanium for my Rangemaster project, is this a good choice>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181863864202?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Dale

MrStab

just realised this thread is a bit outta date, but maybe i can help someone by adding my experience:

+1 on Rapid - whilst not as cheap product-wise as Farnell or RS, their postage costs are better for lower quantities and they have a few things the others don't stock. their stuff shows up next day without fail. though not UK-based, Mouser have never let me down, either, if you wanna take the plunge with higher minimum shipping costs. never more than 2 days from Germany via. FedEx.

re. other foreign sources shipping to the UK that i know of: Banzai Music can take a week or so to even get the order dispatched, Das Musikding is faster and takes a week tops to show up at my door, Smallbear about the same. costs for all 3 are completely reasonable, even for smaller quantities. going a lot from memory here, so apologies for no specifics. it's maybe worth mentioning i live in Glasgow city centre, so YMMV may vary if you live in a more rural area.

it's not my place to divulge why, but unfortunately Steve aka. Dr. Tweek will be out of action for quite a while yet. straight from the horse's mouth. he had some great deals on knobs & transistors, among other stuff. he really did me a solid by doing a one-off sale despite the shop being closed a while back, which was awesome of him. so i encourage anyone to keep checking his site every few months.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

tommycataus

Quote from: jewksey on October 08, 2015, 06:53:11 PM
Thanks Daz, just found it on ebay, some good stuff, ordered me some J201 and CA3080. Whilst on ebay I was looking for germanium for my Rangemaster project, is this a good choice>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181863864202?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Dale

Nice one dude. In all honesty I wouldn't recommend going past the Russian germs. They are cheaper and lower leakage, and the parts number isn't essential when it comes to Ge transistors. Just make sure they are biased correctly.

The other thing is that germs are susceptible to heat and need longer leads than those in your link. Might I suggest checking out parts like mp20 on ebay in bulk: http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/50-pcs-MP20-Vintage-Russian-Germanium-PNP-triodes-50V-HFE-50-150-military-/171671498720?nav=SEARCH

In no way affiliated, but I've had a few great deals from this guy. Better value than many other US part numbers for the same price. Some food for thought anyway.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

bluebunny

Quote from: MrStab on October 08, 2015, 07:16:33 PM
it's not my place to divulge why, but unfortunately Steve aka. Dr. Tweek will be out of action for quite a while yet. straight from the horse's mouth. he had some great deals on knobs & transistors, among other stuff. he really did me a solid by doing a one-off sale despite the shop being closed a while back, which was awesome of him. so i encourage anyone to keep checking his site every few months.

Yeah, Steve has a load on his plate at the moment.  It's a real shame - he's a really top bloke and as Grant says, he goes out of his way to help.  He's added stuff to his stock lists in the past just to help me complete a BOM.  I hope the situation improves for him - not for our sake, but for his.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

nate-builder

yes I find it hard to get parts being an international seller and not in UK. I have found the seller on ebay mentioned in this post and i see what mean high shipping costs, i message seller and they said it was because fault of ebay global shipping program pushing costs high!, he has now opt out of this and is now offering better deal for international buyers. I am going to order J201's and few more thngs, along with a germanium.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141789202237?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181864889958?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

nate-builder

Quote from: Les Paul Lover on September 19, 2015, 01:29:20 PM
I'm lucky enough to have a decent independent shop in Derby, but you can't find everything there.

I certainly could get all resistors and capacitors, but their selection of Pots and others isn't what I'd like. Nevermimd 3pdt footswitch...... But pedalparts.co.uk has those at the best price I can find in the UK.

Thanks for the heads up about the charge pump IC, the 7660s is directly interchangeable for the MAX1044 in the Klon clone I want to do!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141791779225?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

daz061

Quote from: Les Paul Lover on September 19, 2015, 05:53:53 AM
Thank you all for the advice!!!!

Bitsbox & rapidonline both looks excellent.
Jpr elec isn't bad either.

That's a great help - despite all my Google searches, all I could find were mouser and radiospare,  and both are hit and miss for pedal making and rather pricey.

The only thing I can't seem to trace anywhere (beside ebay) are the IC MAX1044 (charge pump for a Klon clone) and a MPQ3904 (swollen pickle quad transistors chip) though I can probably use widely available 2N3904 instead.

Thanks a lottery your help, you guys are really helpful - as always!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/141797932331?

Yes the ICL7600CPA version you want, i prefer these to the MAX1044's..if you buy get CPA version

daz061

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 19, 2015, 12:31:22 PM
It's sad how times have changed - when I lived in Edmonton (North London) during 1980s there were 3 shops within 10 minutes walk selling electronic components, nothing difficult such as BBDs (for which a 30 minute drive to Cricklewood Electronics was needed) but pretty well all bog standard stuff was available, and they all knew their product.

Now I live in the outer reaches of South Croydon, and there is nothing bar Maplin, which I naturally exclude!

Yea Maplin is BEYOND SHIT!!!

PRR

> +1 on Rapid

Hmmm. See post on another forum:
"I get a text from their courier UK Mail, saying they will 'deliver today'. I then get an apology from UK Mail, stating 'sorry, we will try to deliver tomorrow'. ... Rapid's staff refuse to tell me what's going on... so many problems with Rapid." (And also folks pleased with Rapid, and speculations on UK Mail.)
  • SUPPORTER

samhay

Had to check - I haven't used Rapid since 2012.
If I need to go with one of the big boys, I use Farnell (element 14) or RS.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Chugs

i have used Rapid a lot over the last few years and they have always been reliable and quick.

Musikding in Germany are good too.

MrStab

while i've had minor issues with UK Mail in the past, ever since i started using them via. Rapid (in late 2013 maybe), they've always shown up the next day. they send me a text message with a 1-hour time frame and always show up on time. so maybe there are issues with different regions?

as far as Rapid itself goes, they have forgotten the odd pack of caps on larger orders from time to time, but not for a while and when they did, they'd send out the part on the same day of me contacting them about it.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

daz061