Switches for electronic bypass!

Started by Denio, September 15, 2015, 03:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denio

Greetings,good people!
So my asking is:for those of you who use electronic bypass(boss,Ibanez style bypass),what kind of momentary switches do you guys use?
I've heard people saying they used switches for electrical purposes.Even a photo of the type of switch would be helpful!

Why not 3pdt you ask?They are impossible to find in my dreaded country!  :icon_evil:
Cheers!

GibsonGM

You can get switches on Ebay like this, Denio:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/100x-Quality-Mini-Micro-Momentary-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-6-6-5mm-4pin-Hot-/281191520357?hash=item4178521865

You will want to measure how big they are in your pedal for replacement, of course!  They come in different sizes.

Can you shop on Ebay in your country?    You can also get them from suppliers such as Mouser, but Ebay is probably cheaper.
Also check Small Bear, who has a link at the top of our forum!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

PRR

You can use door-bell switches. Probably available ANYwhere?
  • SUPPORTER

smallbearelec

Quote from: Denio on September 15, 2015, 03:41:46 PM
what kind of momentary switches do you guys use?

Where are you? What you really want are these:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/momentary-spst-no-soft-touch/

Very rugged, I think originally made for automotive or appliance use. I sell a ton of them for replacing cheap tactile switches in Line 6 gear. If you can't order by mail, check hardware or appliance/auto repair shops for something similar.

Denio

Thank you for the replies guys!
I am in(from) Bulgaria but ordering stuff from other countries and ebay is a bit too pricey for me.

GibsonGM:I can get these switches from pretty much any supplier in my country,the real bummer with these is that (1)I feel they are not going to be at all strong and maybe break within the first few latches(2)The feel just isn't right(a big foot triggering a tiny switch).Sure I can probably make a little plate to go on top but I still wouldn't like to use these.Could give'em a try though.
Thanks!
PRR:Hmm the doorbell switch thing was an idea I had some time ago.As long as I find something that is the right size,shape and feeling I could give that one a go.
Thanks mate!
Smallbearelec:Yes, I also had these in mind.Farnell also sell these but like I said,ordering stuff from abroad is a problem with me.

peterg

Denio.  Are you in Sofia? There are a few great electonic shops in the city. One being on the corner of Todoi Alexandrov Blvd and Hristo Botev Blvd. There is also a sidde street close by with a number of shops. Can't remember the name though.

roseblood11

Quote from: smallbearelec on September 16, 2015, 12:02:14 AM

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/momentary-spst-no-soft-touch/

Very rugged, I think originally made for automotive or appliance use. I sell a ton of them for replacing cheap tactile switches in Line 6 gear.

Doesn't that cause problems with bouncing? I once replaced a tap tempo switch in a POD XTlive with a Carling, and the tap tempo was unusable...

GibsonGM

Hi Denio - yes, for actually stepping on the switch, use the Smallbear type!!! I didn't realize that was what you wanted.  You are correct, these are terrible for stomping on by themselves, ha ha!  :) 

To REPAIR an existing pedal, like a Boss distortion or EQ or some such pedal, the "tactile switches" are good. They are what is in there already. They are contacted by a little button on the back of the pedal part you stomp.    I don't like them the way I do a nice beefy solid 3PDT, but they work OK.   
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Denio

Peterg:No I am not from Sofia,but ordering stuff from there is perfectly within my capabilities.
I'll give'em a check on Google maps.
Thanks!

amptramp

If you want an industrial appearance to your pedal:

I have a couple of surplus limit switches that are intended for exactly this sort of thing, mounted on their sides, of course.

Denio

hymenoptera

There are a number of great ebay vendors in your region that sell surplus soviet military hardware, including switches, for good prices. I've bought from vendors in Romania, Bulgaria, and Ukraine, to name a few.

If they will ship to me in the States, then they'll surely ship to you. ;)
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth