Ambitious Newb Dual Effect Projects Questions

Started by VidSicious, September 17, 2015, 04:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VidSicious

Hey there guys! So I have a couple of projects lined up that would require both Switchable Boost wiring from offboard page on tagboard effects and the Beavis effects order switch wiring. As my first project, I built a Proco Rat with BMP Tonestack (with separate footswitch) which gives me great versatility. It was an ambitious project for a newb but I think challenging yourself is the way to learn.

SO NOW, I'm on a similar venture figuring out how to build a Dunlop JH-F1 Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face together with Electro Harmonix LPB1. Now, from what I've read having boost in front of a fuzz and after is quite different. Before fuzz it'd boost the gain but not the volume and after it'd boost the actual volume. I thought, why not have both? So this is where I'm having an issue. I'd like to combine both Switchable Boost and Beavis Effects Order Switch. Would it even be possible?

If it is possible then I would be glad to take it even further with another dual effect pedal (Big Muff + NPN Fuzz Face) - The Muff Face. I got inspiration for this from Retroman Sybil pedal. I'd like to have series of switches that would allow to do the following: 1. Order Switch (which one goes first and which goes second) 2. Series/Parallel switch which would allow me to either run one into another or have them both blended together in parallel (thinking of Guitar and Bass Paralooper). I think this parallel mixer may also require a phase inverter switch... 3. If possible at all, have both stomps for Fuzz Face and Muff wired as Switchable Boost.

I know this second project sounds incredibly complicated and almost crazy (well at least for a beginner like me who doesn't have much under his belt), but hey, The Retroman Sybil exists which means it is definitely possible! I've tried posting this on tagboardeffects forum with no replies so giving a shot here. Let me know what your thoughts are on this and if you think I should call a psychiatric hospital

samhay

^I'd like to combine both Switchable Boost and Beavis Effects Order Switch. Would it even be possible?
yes, but I think the order switcher approach uses a 4PDT switch if you want LEDs, which may be difficult/impossible to find in a stomp switch (you may want to use a toggle here though?).

^I think this parallel mixer may also require a phase inverter switch
Nope, neither the Big Muff, nor the Fuzz Face invert the signal (well they do 2 and 4x, respectively, but this all cancels out).

Rather than tell you how to do this, I suggest you draw a schematic of the switching - circuits can be a box with in and out - and see if you can make sense of it.
To get you started, google 'geofex juggler'.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

VidSicious

Yes sorry I forgot to mention but the effect order switch would have to be a 3pdt toggle. 3 stomps on an enclosure would be a bit much!

roseblood11

hymenoptera

Quote from: samhay on September 17, 2015, 07:41:34 AM
yes, but I think the order switcher approach uses a 4PDT switch if you want LEDs, which may be difficult/impossible to find in a stomp switch (you may want to use a toggle here though?).

I found my 4pdt stomps from an ebay vendor in California.

To get you started, google 'geofex juggler'.

Thanks for that! Been trying to wrap my head around how to do this!
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

VidSicious

Thanks for all the advice. I don't feel too keen on using relays at the moment so it'd be nice to figure out a mechanical way to perform switching  So I've been looking at both Beavis and Boost wirings and I'm struggling figuring out how to put them both together. Basically, main issue I'm having is how to make it true bypass. Where do you reckon the input and output tips should connect to? If I connect the input to the 3pdt toggle switch (order switch) then I lose true bypass, if I connect it to the effect stomp then I don't know how to connect the order switch in. If this is a bit too complicated/confusing then maybe I should ditch the switchable boost diagram and try to figure this all out with simple dual effect wiring diagram?

VidSicious

Riiiight. So I've been working on this idea once in a while and finally, I'm getting somewhere. At first I thought it'd be near impossible for me to figure this out but even though it is quite confusing, I'm starting to get a grip on this project.

Beavis Audio is down so I'm basing the effects order switching on his layout found here. I'm omitting the 4th row of the switch because I'll use a 3PDT toggle which won't require LEDs.

I also ditched the idea of having everything hooked up as a switchable boost, instead I'll just be using normal offboard wiring. Less hassle and just makes more sense.
I've been looking around for a good mixer/blender which would include a phase inverter and found one on guitarpcb.com. It's called Paramix and I've seen quite a few people recommend this circuit. It does more than what I need so I'll have some questions about it below, I'll also try contacting the website themselves for some opinion.

Right, so at the moment I am working on a Fuzz Face with EHX boost which will include an order switcher toggle. But through this I've been putting together a wiring diagram for A Muff Face (or you can call it Fuzzy Muff, whatever man!). It'll include order switch for running them in series AND a mode to have them in parallel. Check out the wiring diagram below and tell me what you think. Would it work?!

It's not perfect by any means so I've got a couple of questions. Here goes:
1. The Looper switch output seems a bit dodgy to me. When it's in the ON position, the output of both dirt circuits will go to the looper instead of their respective 3pdts and from there to the order switcher OUT Jack lug (or it could simply go right into the output jack tip). When it's in the off position the outputs of dirt circuits function as normal BUT the output of the Looper is just left hanging there... I was trying to figure out a way to ground it somehow but I can't think of anything that wouldn't ground out the actual Output of the whole thing altogether...
2. The Paramix looper offers a few connections. It's designed to work as a standalone pedal. It's got Input, Output, Send, Return, Insert In and Insert Out connections. I obviously don't need to use the Send connection as I want to use it as a mixer rather than a looper. But my main issue is whether I should use the actual INPUT pad of the circuit or the Insert In pad. Last thing I wanna do is waste a perfectly good circuit by messing up my connections.

Anyways, sorry for long post but I hope this helps anyone looking at making similar things. Cool thing, with the Paramix I probably could even include an option to split the signal into two as well as have all the functions mentioned above. Sick! Let me know what you guys think. I might as well be mad...

blackieNYC

I was excited about the order switcher a couple years ago, but I've realized I don't need it. It's going to eat up space that could better be occupied by another effect. You cite an example above, but with all the cool things you can do with the loop/ mixer, I'm just saying think about the order reverser.
It sounds like you have the straight signal, the loop, and the insert is another loop, sort of?  I suppose it interrupts one or the other. Still a lot of fun stuff to do there.
  • SUPPORTER
http://29hourmusicpeople.bandcamp.com/
Tapflo filter, Gator, Magnus Modulus +,Meathead, 4049er,Great Destroyer,Scrambler+, para EQ, Azabache, two-loop mix/blend, Slow Gear, Phase Royal, Escobedo PWM, Uglyface, Jawari,Corruptor,Tri-Vibe,Battery Warmers

VidSicious

^^ I don't quite get your point. What do you mean "order reverser"? The order switch will determine which circuit goes first, or in other words, A -> B, or B -> A.  The looper circuit would.only function as a 2 channel mixer as I need to blend the 2 signals in parallel instead of creating loops. The order switcher in my opinion will simply reverse the volume pots of the looper when used together with it.
I am excited about this project because I'm interested in learning and therefore I try to challenge myself with each build. This has been the greatest challenge so far and I'm quite determined to box it up one day no matter how inconvenient it is. Thanks for your reply anyway!

Edit: I might be over complicating things here as someone mentioned above, I wouldn't need a phase inverter so I could possibly get away with a simple blend circuit...