Green Ringer going hot...

Started by CaioAllures, September 18, 2015, 01:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaioAllures

Hello guys! Second version of a Green Ringer I'm building but this time, with the PCB ready with all components, I plugged it and battery started to get hot. When I tried DC a siren sound went through the speakers and made my poor 100uF cap go fat, probably the source of the sound. Since it's mucho specific I decided to make a post: is there anything pretty straightforward to do/check? When it was using the battery I could hear some sound by touching the terminals of the 5088 transistors..

Thanks a lot!

The source: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_gro_lo.pdf

tommycataus

Sounds like there is a short somewhere which would be making the battery go hot... check that you haven't got any stray bridges anywhere touching things that they should not...
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - FZ

bluebunny

I'm with Tom. Hot battery is a short.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

CaioAllures

Quote from: induction on September 18, 2015, 02:19:59 AM
Quote from: CaioAllures on September 18, 2015, 01:14:56 AM
is there anything pretty straightforward to do/check?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0
Quote from: bluebunny on September 18, 2015, 02:46:05 AM
I'm with Tom. Hot battery is a short.

Thank you, as I said, I checked the debugging guide, went through that to my previous pedal (the came as this one) but haven't noticed something that accurate. So it's a short then, and by that, probably the cap was the only casualtie, right? Because it almost exploded. he

Fender3D

No short can kill a capacitor in that manner...
Either you reversed the cap or you reversed the battery (or power wirings)...
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

PRR

> Either you reversed the cap or you reversed the battery

+1
  • SUPPORTER

CaioAllures

Quote from: Fender3D on September 18, 2015, 12:28:14 PM
No short can kill a capacitor in that manner...
Either you reversed the cap or you reversed the battery (or power wirings)...

Yeah, I guess my mistake was not checking the power supply negative or positive tip. I used that cilindrycal dc jack with a boss power supply. While the battery was plugged the cap was smooth and sailing

CaioAllures

Well, fiddling with multimeter discovered indeed two shorts, this time I used too hot of a iron chloride, the trail was ravaged in some tiny bits. I decided to remove DC jacks, and by that my LED doesn't go on. It's hooked just like parts layout shows, but when on, nothing. Any tips? And thanks guys, I'm learning it all!

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...